Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitex Plants

Vitex Agnus Castus is available as small plants or seeds from Bee Services ph number 972 524 4076. It is preferable to plant it in the fall.
    Vitex Agnus Castus, also called the Chaste or Pepper tree is not recommended and bees do not work this easily as the smell is not good.
    Vitex Agnus Castus starts blooming in Texas at the end of May. The plant can grow 15 to 20 ft. It can be cut back to 5 ft in early July when most of the blooming has taken place. New shoots will form and blooming resumes August-September. It can be cut back one more time, this time not so drastically and once it starts blooming again, it will bloom till the frost.
    Water is important for vigorous growth. Drip irrigation costing about $ 100.00 can easily do 20 plants.

janvanhamont do you know of a nearby source for the other Vitex (negundo) plants or seeds?

Lew in Waco

Lew,

These plants, vitex negundo incissa are availble from Bee Services, Terrell Texas, phone 972 524 4076.
    Best time to plant is in the fall.
    Seeds for both species are also available.

What is Bee Services?? I live about 30 miles from Terrell and never heard of it.

Hey Ross

I didn't recognize the name at first; this guy spoke to our bee club last month. He's big into candle making, etc. from beeswax. Has a foreign name (Czech or something similar; eastern european) that I couldn't remember or pronounce if I tried. Real nice guy; lotsa neat ideas!

Lew

his name is Jan. pronounced yohn

Cool

I ran a number of vitex nigundos about 10 years ago. The plant DOES resemble pot to such an extent that the scumbag neighbor next door called the police! Fortunatley, the police that came were able to verify that the vitex N. were NOT pot. The bees work the blooms avidly but dead-heading did not to seem to produce more blooms. Furthermore, the vitex N plants only seemed to last 2-3 years before dying out completely for reasons I have yet to discover. Soil test results from the DOA shed no light on this inexplicable demise of the plants. I still suspect neighbor intervention in that regard.

Later, I learned that nectar producing TREES produce more nectar per square foot than ANY low-growing bushes or ground flora so I have been concentrating on planting trees instead.

Golden Rain trees seems to attract a boat-load of bees and here in the mid-atlantic area blooms early to mid July. Evodia trees which are in bloom now attact bees by the zillions and it is interesting to note that they FRANTICALLY work the blooms. Much more so than other flora - trees or otherwise.

Thanx.
    John Seets
    ...When seconds count, 911 is just minutes away....