Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitex Plants

I planted 4-vitex bushes a couple of weeks ago. They were blooming, and the blooms expired, and fell off leaving what looks like little bulbs where there going to bloom again. I understand you cut the "spikes" off, to keep the plants blooming all summer. What are they talking about, cutting the spikes? Are these little bulbs at the end of the stems the spikes? I no nothing about the plants except the bees love them. I won't to get some more.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Vitex are called Chaste trees when you buy them.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

I won some vitex seed as a door prize at a keeper meeting and would like to know where the best place to plant them would be. Is it a tree or a bush?
    Henry

I was told that the bushes can grow to 20-feet high trees. If you want them to remain bushes, cut them back to the ground every year. They need full sun, in well drained soil. All this information was told to me, nothing here from experience;
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

does anyone know where i could purchase some? I think i would rather buy the small trees and not the seeds. i have no luck with seeds. aren't those the plants that resemble the marijuana plant???

I will have seed available this fall and small plants next year.

Yes, they do resemble marijuana, the variety I grow was identified to me as Vitex negundo incisa. I obtained my start of these from "Pellet Gardens" out of Iowa.

There are several species, not all are called "Chaste", nor are all tree-like, some are small to medium sized bushes.

Link to Information about Vitex

What look like "little bulbs" are the developing seed, once these begin to darken, they are ripe. If given plenty of water, sun, and fertilizer they will continue to bloom and set seed until the first frost.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

My experiences with Vitex agnus-castus and Vitex negundo are that honeybees prefers to work Vitex negundo when both varieties are in the same area; however, bumblebees will profusely work Vitex agnus-castus. The fragrance of Vitex negundo is a sweet smell whereas the fragrance of a Vitex agnus-castus resembles that of sage. The two varieties can be identified by the edge of the leaves... Vitex negundo has a serrated leaf edge whereas Vitex agnus-castus has a smooth leaf edge.

Jim

I can't seem to find negundo anywhere...just agnus-castus

also I have one heck of a time trying to get seeds to germinate or get a cutting to take root.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Vitex negundo and angus castus are listed in the F. W. Shumacher catalog.
    www.treeshrubseeds.com

The seeds can be germinated in pots started in the fall. Keep the pots outside until spring. Water beginning in spring to keep the soil moist. Plants will sprout late spring. I have had success starting vitex in this manner. To ensure a plant in nearly every pot, I plant 3 to 4 seeds at one time per pot. The seeds will share the same little hole I make in the soil mix. Plantsdatabase.com is an excellent place to learn more about plants that interest you. Mike

Original Question: "I understand you cut the "spikes" off, to keep the plants blooming all summer. What are they talking about, cutting the spikes? Are these little buds at the end of the stems the spikes?"
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Spikes are the dried flowers. Removing spikes is like "deadheading" a spent flower. Some flowers will continue producing blooms if you cut off the dead/dying flowers. Vitex, apparently, will do the same. Cut off the part beneath the entire flowering segment. Mike

yes, the little buds aare what you cut off.
    etpr,do you come to the meetings at the rtdc in tyler the first thursday of the month?
    cityboy, what part of tx?

hi all, an older bee keeper here went to his forest of vitex trees and dug up about 18 plants for me to plant on my property. 5 have grown to 6ft already. he told me they are very hardy plants if you can water and nurse then the first year they will grow like crazy. they are like popcorn trees ,very evasive. .little plants will pop up where the seeds fall. autumn olive,is a good bee tree too the flowers grow in clusters too.i planted 4 of these.
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

Autumn Olive is very invasive.

>Autumn Olive is very invasive.

I've noticed if you want to find good bee plants, most are listed as invasive. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Jim Young I just sent you a private msg.

Lew

Jim Young I just sent you a private msg.

Lew

I've noticed if you want to find good bee plants, most are listed as invasive.
    Many states have lists of banned plants. I suggest you check before planting.

Yes, and vritually all the banned plants are awesome bee plants. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast