Thread: sugar ratio

What is 1:1 sugar water ratio mean? How many lbs sugar to water? How about 2:1 sugar to
    water. What amount of water to dilute 5lbs
    sugar. for 1:1 and 2:1. Ihear all all kinds of
    numbers so what is right?

Here is my interpretation...

A gallon of water weighs 8 #

I buy my sugar in 50 # sacks. To make 1:1 sugar I mix 50 # (divided equally by sight) into 2 buckets that have 3 gallons of water in them (6 gallons total water times 8 # equal 48 #). This should roughly give me 1:1.

I double the buckets for 2:1

Mozilla Firefox is great!

Nursebee, you have the right idea. It's not all that important to worry about a few ounces or even a pound or two on either side of the ratio. But, as I read you, you've got the 2:1 backwards. Instead of doulbling your buckets, shouldn't you be decreasing them? 1:1 thin syrup means 1 part sugar: 1 part water. 2:1 heavy syrup means 2 parts sugar: 1 part water.

Whoops! never mind nursebee. Looks like I'm misreading.

Nursebee, I thought you meant doubling the water when you wrote doubling the buckets. Sorry for the confusion.......

[This message has been edited by Dick Allen (edited October 27, 2004).]

5 lbs of sugar to 5 pints (2 1/2 quarts) of water makes 1:1
    5 lbs of sugar to 2 1/2 pints (1 quart, 1 cup) of water makes 2:1

Arrow

A one to one ration means one (lbs or by volume does not matter)of sugar to one (lbs or by volume)of water. This is good for general feeding during a drath of honey flow. A two to one (two lbs or volume) of sugar to one of water is good for quick feeding a hive to help top of stores or for emergency feeding. A one (lbs or volume) of sugar to two of water is used to stimulate brood rearing and comb building.
    Note volume means a quart container, a cup, or a pot of sugar to be mixed in.
    I hope this helps.
    Dan

I think we tend to make this topic harder than it has to be. Get a container, I cut a plastic water bottle and use the top third as a funnel and the bottom 2/3rds as my measuring cup. filled once with water and once with sugar is 1:1 by volume. twice with sugar and once with water is 2:1. If you need to make the syrup any thicker you will have to heat the water. The more sugar in it the happier the bees seem to be.

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

Whoa UP, Guys:

I may have missed something here. I know that you can mix 1:1 syrup without heating the water, but will 2 parts sugar dissolve in 1 part water without heating?

Ox

The ratio I feedin the fall is 2:1 (2 parts sugar to one part water) 120kg of sugar(265lbs) to 7 1/2 30lb buckets . The water must be very hot.. this gives me 7 1/2 buckets (5 gallon) good enough to feed 23 hives once . Here in Canada the bees need 60lbs to winter outside and only 15lbs indoors.. steve

My original comments on 2:1 are incorrect. One bucket or half the water would be 2:1. The thing is, I no longer go through the time required to heat water. Does not seem to affect them here.

any reason you wouldn't just buy a barrel of high frutose corn syrup 'the buzz'?

>any reason you wouldn't just buy a barrel of high frutose corn syrup

That is exactly what I did this year. It cost me the same as sugar and I didn't have to make it. No fuss, no muss.

No corn syrup within at least 200 miles for starters. If there was a plant just down the road I would buy it.

2 parts sugar to 1 one part water mixed in a 5 liter water bottle leaves about 1/2 inch of solid sugar on the bottom of the bottle. Yes you exceed the saturation point but for this small amount of sugar its not worth the time and trouble of heating it and hearing the wife complain about the kitchen. Remember its not an "exact" science! If you really think that it is an emergency go to a local keeper that you trust and buy honey and put that in!

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

High fructose corn syrup? We have a major manufacturer just across town. But due to their contracts, they won't sell as much as a cup to anyone besides their contracted customers.

rocky ridge bees Guest

I USE 3 GALS.OF WATER TO 15 LBS OF SUGER . THIS WILL FILL A 5 GAL PBUCKET ALMOST TO THE TOP. TAKE A MAGIC MARKER AND MARK THE WATER LEVEL THE FIRST TIME . THEN 3 5 LB BAGS GO IN WOO LA 5 GALS OF SIMPLE SUGER

>I USE 3 GALS.OF WATER TO 15 LBS OF SUGER

3 gallons water at 8 lbs. per gallon gives 24 lbs. water. It's going to be some thin syrup, isn't it? How about 2 gallons instead? 2 gallons water at 8 lbs. apiece gives 16 lbs. water. Reasonably close for 1:1 syrup.

rocky ridge bees Guest

dick it true, i use 2 gals to 15 lbs . i also get my suger in 25lb bags and add water to top of pail ,for a thicker surup