Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We had our bi-annual field day on Sat. and went to 8 different bee yards maintained by 8 different beekkeepers. Out of the 8 only two yards were in good shape.
    Yard one: had mites, no brood and wax moth damage. Yard two: had dried up brood, k-wing, and had already lost two hives to wax moths. Yard Three: look very good lots of ,eggs, brood,bees and very little mite problems and had some stores. Yard Four had two queenless hives, mites and some damage from waxmoths (had the straigt tunnels and saw some larva)in three hives ( this yard had lost three hives early this season) Yard five: had AFB, wax moths, chalkbrood and mites. Yard six was totally gone with three hives 'dead' and two with too many wax moths to recover. Yard seven: k-wing and Small Hive beetles. Yard eight (mine) had little feed but all seven of my hives look healthy--just a few mites.

**If this is how other areas looks~~ we could be in trouble???? How about your area??

All sites are looking good except for one. This one site is in an area that is hygenically clean of weeds for vast areas and has no scrub or forest areas. It is mainly mennonite farms. They are in need of fall feeding. They lost spring flow (fruit tree farm) due to weather. Remember, rain........

All other sites are healthy and should go into winter with enough. I will say that I have yet to take off honey as I am waiting to see if the weaker hives may need it. Hives now look good but this honey season has been a big loss. Lost 2 earlier to moths but I knew they were queenless and left them alone to long. I Have also combined 4 others. But this is nothing to the Losses I had in May and April due to starvation of all things. Brood was in full swing and bees could not get out.

State inspector found 2 single mites in 2 hives tested out of 15. No other deseases.

This will be a long labor day weekend in preping the bees. Work now means less worrying this winter.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

The weather this year has been tough. Long cold winter with no breaks( lost 3 hives), late spring, wet very, wet May, June and the first half of August.
    All things considered they are looking great.
    I went through (5) hives and checked drone brood for mites and found none.
    I also just pulled 220 lbs off two hives. If the other 22 do as well, it might not be a bad year.

spring here was cold and rainy,but my bees seem to be having a decent year.

I had one strong hive coming into spring. Right now I have five strong hives and one with small numbers but they're putting up their honey stores. I think they'll make it to spring.

I have 7 hives 6 look strong one is weak but getting better. No big honey flow ever came here just slow but sure. Just enought to get winter stores and just a bit for me to harvest.I am looking good so far for the winter stores.

The bees are doing great healthwise (no disease or pest problems) but the nectar sources have been poor. It looks like they have enough for Winter, but there probably will be very little or no surplus.

Hives are strong and most have enough honey to winter.Some surplus(not a lot).Have to look hard to find any mites but that can change real quick.

Located in S.E. Wisconsin. Overwintered 5 hives in good shape. Added 4 packages early in April,all doing well there also. Managed to catch 4 of 5 swarms observed in my yard. Need to work on my swarm control for next year I guess. Extracted honey last weekend and ended up somewhere around 650 pounds. Not record breaking but was pleased wuth the amount. Have had an extremely dry spring and summer for our area. Had we had more consistent rainfall I think the honey flow would have been much better. Overall the hives appear to be strong and in great shape. Reading the earlier posts on this topic I feel very fortunate to have this good of a year.

fall is still a month away.

hives are back to brooding after a summer drought pause with off and on pollen/honey varies day by day. Expect fall flow to start up in a couple of weeks, hoping it is strong. We've had some rain which should bode well for the wildflowers. some years indian summer lasts well into thanksgiving.

wfarler- where's Bartonville? Glad to have another Texas beekeeper on the board.

Dragonfly, He already said....its in Texas. Boy, you people act like Texas is a big place or something.......

"In Texas" can mean in the piney woods, the desert, the hill country, the great plains, the coastal area, or the northern greenbelt. It's not like Rhode Island where driving across the state to visit a friend takes 30 minutes unless traffic is bad, lol.

The fall flow should be starting any day. In the early morning and late evening, I can smell a touch of fall honey in the yards. However, most of the hives are way too heavy for this time of year and populations are lower than I'd like to see. Not sure exactly what they would do if there is actually a fall flow, definately not much more room for them to store honey or raise much brood.

Mites seem to be holding at a level that isnt too concerning. I keep expecting to see them explode but it hasnt happened yet. Just a matter of time though.

It was a poor year for honey. Definately below average. But it seems to be a common theme for everyone I have talked to from around the midwest and east coast. Perhaps the price will hold but I'm seeing alot of strange barrels from countries that I have never seen ship honey here before and know of some big chinese shipments that have been released from quarantine so who knows.

Hey fellow Texas beekeepers. Bartonville is about 12 hours from Mexico, 2 hours from Paris, and probably 6 or 7 from Luckenbach but I'm not sure.

some people find it easier to come from Fort Worth, about 20 miles south of here. AHB's don't live in Bartonville, they never been seen closer than 8 miles from here. Anyone want to buy some mite free queens

We are on the southern edge of zone 7 but I'm told by the extension agent the Dept of Agriculture will revise the climate zones and most of us will move a half zone south without leaving home. so much for global warning.

One question to leave you with is how late can you make splits the further you go south? Most of the literature says july but package bee producers are mostly in zone 8+, is a longer brooding season the reason?

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Follow-up: Now 23 - had 24 but combined 2 to make a good strong one for winter.
    1 yard looks like they are going to have done alright, 2 yards look like they will be good for winter now, but little extra honey. I will be looking at the last yard tomorrow, it's down by the Hudson and the season's a few weeks longer there than here.

Pulled lots of honey in the first two pulls, canola everywhere you looked. But it looks like my fall pull will be much smaller. Temperatures hit record hihgs compounded with no rain. The bees shut down for about three weeks and all anything else out there flowering. The temps are now near normal with some moisture, so I might get a bit of the buckwheat before I strip the hives and prepare for winter...

Me too, I'm down to five hives now. I Combined two.

My mind is getting all fuzzy, I'm not sure what to do next. This is my first time to do fall preparations readying for winter. I don't know what to look for..... what to do?

It turned off rainy for three days, last night it was cool. In comparing the Five hives now, one is less fortunate then the other four and wonder if I should take stuff from the stronger ones and add it to this one, not combine but grab resources from other hives.......

What is the best thing to add for equalizing colonies? I've gone brain dead for some reason.........

Did'nt pull alot of honey this year,for we are like everyone else rain in the spring.(hay,,that was neat),
    bees are not to strong hopeing the fall flow will be better,I'm not going to pull the honey just want them to build up for the winter.So I want have to break out the feed bucket.>>>>MARK

Daisy, M B will be back this week and he will [I'm Sure] give you some answers. We have had almost 8" of rain here in S.E. Ks over the last few days. Haven't pulled any honey yet but hope to in the next couple of weeks. Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast