The last several days I've noticed bees with still different markings then the blacks that have been showing up for the past few of weeks. This new group showing up the past several days are small and shiney like the blacks, (and these are pitch black), only this new group has two distinct wide bands of orange stipes (close together) across the backs and around. They're slim/trim and as an average, a tad bit larger then the feral blacks that have been visiting the past few weeks. There is a slim streak of orange, as well, right at the section where the abdomen fits the thorax area. (I don't know bee anatomy, forgive me)

Anyone know what these buggers are? They like the little blacks are practically hairless.

Yeah I know the "bee" you are talking about. But I don't think its a very close relation to the honey bee. And I am not honesty sure its a true bee at all. I don't know the taxonomy of this insect, but I have seen them near water most frequently. I have never seen them foraging for nectur or pollen.

There is also a fly called a "Hover Fly" that looks vaguely like a bee or yellow jack, but its just a fly that uses the apparence of a stinging insect as a defense mechanism, though by your description I do not thing that's what you have seen. ibiblio.com has lots of info on insects that look like bees. Your "bee" might be there, but I don't remember.

This isn't the hover fly, I know. It's a honey bee because now I know where they live. They live in one of my hives. I think my bees have mated with a black drone around here.

But I could be wrong.....

I've seen some interesting ones here lately that I don't think are honey bees, but might be. They are about the size of a regressed, or natural sized honey bee, except they are a bit stockier in looks and have a yellowish dot in the middle of their forhead and a yellowish spot on each side on their middle leg. The spot is almost white with a little bit of yellow to it. Other than these three spots they are all black from head to toe.