Hi folks,

Been enjoying reading all the postings here for awhile, and thought I'd chime in with something I noticed with the bees yesterday. The bees in one of the hives I'm helping a woman take care of were coming in with white pollen on their backs,...and I was excited to discover they got that by working the Jewelweed not too far away. I got my video camera out and managed to put a couple clips of them on the web.
    Here's a clip of some coming back into the hive with the white pollen on their backs....

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=35d3swg

...........and here's a clip of one actually coming out of a blossom ,...all covered with its white pollen. There was a stream roaring in the background because it had been raining.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=43hyh01

It was satisfying to actually have been able to figure out where they were getting that white dusting from. Only one of the 3 hives we've got was working the Jewelweed. I just love watching them.

edit....9/5/06.....Here's another clip I just took this morning,.... a clearer one, showing her backing out of the blossom with pollen all over her.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=48x5uaf

[size="1"][ September 05, 2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: denny ][/size]

Nice videos! Thannks for posting them. -Danno

Cool. Some folks were wondering what their bees had gotten into when they had white pollen on their backs. This is obviously one source.
    Thanks,
    Sheri
    ps welcome to the board

Nice shootin Denny!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Hi Danno, Sheri, and power napper !!

Thanks for the warm welcome, ...and lookin forward to sharing more with you all.

Great videos Denny. I have noticed the bees working the jewel weed around my house as well. I will have to keep an eye out for the white pollen. It is also a great remedy for poison Ivy.

Great clips Denny! Thanks for sharing.

Mine have been coming in with lots of white pollen and I was wondering where they were finding it. Now I know. The Jewelweed had really taken off lately with this last batch of rain.

Is Jewelweed a good source of nectar too?
    To everything there is a season....

Check out my pictures of sweet autumn clematis. This plant also produces white pollen.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...tsofblooms.jpg
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Jeff,...yes, I've heard the jewelweed remedy for poison ivy, too. I have a friend who often will rub her hands with jewelweed after handling shoes or boots that she thought may have come in contact with poison ivy while hiking. She swears by it.

Mike,...I think the jewelweed might be a very good nectar source around here right now, because when I go out and examine patches of goldenrod which is in bloom,....I don't see nearly as many bees working it as on the jewelweed,...even at various times of the day. The Japanese Knotweed seems to be attracting flies & wasps,...but very few , if any , honeybees so far here. Again, at least in the last few days,....I've seen more activity with the jewelweed patches,...some of which are quite large here in the wet areas. There's so many factors involved, though, that it most likely varies by area within any given county here.

Parke County Queen,....that clemantis looks great! Are the honeybees working it?