This year I'm doing a comparasion between the NWC's from Strachan and Russians from Kelley.

In April, I'll have 4 russian colonies and 4 NWC's all queens are production queens. My base to compare with will be 2 Italian hives one from York Stock and one from a local producer in TN. (both have been treated for Trachael Mites and Varroa)

I'm looking to compare mite resistance by doing a perodic count of natural mite (Varroa) drops throughout the summer (24 hours every week) of all 10 hives using the screened bottom boards. Also monthly Trachael Mite examinations (using HS science department equipment).

I'm looking for the following:

1. Which stock will have the best resistance over the season?
    2. Which stock will have the best wintering?
    3. Which stock will produce the better surplus?

This will have to be a two year comparison because the russians will be packages this year and one of the NWC will be from a split.

In my little exercise on observation, do any of you have any recommendations or experiences that would help me in the exercise?

All input will be considered. I start the observations after 17 April 2003. I intend to update this thread as it developes over time.

Chuck

Chuck -

When are you picking up your Russians from Kelly's? I'm picking mine up on 12 April. I considered ordering NWC queen this year and decided to go with the Russian since I would be picking her up myself.

Please post your observations. If you have the time I'd like to check out how the NWC colonies fare. I live an hour to the north in Bowling Green. - Martin

Will do!. Pick up my Russians there on the April 5th. Figure it will take a good three weeks before any brood hatches that will be the first mite count after the 17th.

------------------
    Chuck

Cpeka,
    Am I to understand that you will have these hives with no attention to mites; standard Apistan tx; FGMO tx; Menthol tx in the fall, spring. It seems that a test of the bees, to be fair, should 1. have all the colonies at the same strength to start. 2. Give no tx for mites or give all the same tx. (I thought I had more to add but thats all I can think of.)

dickm

The Russians are in double deeps now, I have 2 to 3 weeks of flow or more because of all the moisture in the ground.

Of the four I started with I had one bad queen that was killed and replaced after two weeks of her half stepping through life. That hive is catching up.

All four will be in good condition for wintering as I do not intend to pull honey from them, but I will add the drawn supers to get them filled.

They will not receive treatments for Varroa or T. Mites <says prayer and asks for protection>

We're about to embark on the great adventure.

------------------
    Chuck

[This message has been edited by cpecka (edited June 19, 2003).]

i tried an experimebnt,buying several"resistant" varieties from major and smaller breeders,and had varied success,but i also found that if i bought 5 queens from one breeder,the 5 were not all equal in quality, and a few were occasionally duds or superb.then there's numerous variables from hive to hive,i think a larger number is needed to determine if a particular line of bees is better.

I have recently purchased a breeder russian from Glenn Apiaries to ad to the mix. I'll start re-queening the rest in about a months time. Leaving the two Italians alone

That should give me some more to study. I'll leave the NWC's the way they are as they will be the part of the comaparison test.

------------------
    Chuck

[This message has been edited by cpecka (edited June 20, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by cpecka (edited June 20, 2003).]