Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seed swap

Big Grin

Denise or Michael... I would love to get some chicory from you. When you are ready, just let me know and I will email you may address.

Thanks -Bill

>Where I am now there are patches of chicory.It only blooms in the morning or on cloudy days.I think its one of the prettiest wildflowers around.The bees work it some.

Maybe it depends on the honey flow or the climate. Here they are in bloom all day and the bees are all over them. They grow mostly on the roadsides. They bloom around here from as early as June to as late as October.

Here's a picture of a bee on one flower on the Mann Lake cover. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/index_splash.htm

Big Grin

Mark- You will love this and if yu don't you might want to duck and cover. LOL!

I received your seeds today and to did the postal service. Somewhere along the line, your envelope was open (manhandled) to see what was inside. I think the plastic bread bag was the give away... To there surprise, the seeds were wild flower. Can you image their initial thoughts.

Thank you for the Globe seed and the wild flower seed. Do you have any idea what the wild flower seed might spring forth?

Don't get spooky now!

Big Grin

Mark- You will love this and if yu don't you might want to duck and cover. LOL!

I received your seeds today and so did the postal service. Somewhere along the line, your envelope was opened (manhandled)to see what was inside. I think the plastic bread bag was the give away... Too there surprise, the seeds were wild flower. Can you image their initial thoughts.

Thank you for the Globe seed and the wild flower seed. Do you have any idea what the wild flower seed might spring forth?

Don't get spooky now!

Big Grin

Mark- You will love this and if you don't you might want to duck and cover. LOL!

I received your seeds today and so did the postal service. Somewhere along the line, your envelope was opened (manhandled)to see what was inside. I think the plastic bread bag was the give away... Too there surprise, the seeds were wild flower. Can you image their initial thoughts.

Don't get spooky now!

TAWOODS: the wild flower is a mix & I don't know what all is in there, but there is one that has a flower that's blue & about the size of a quarter,man the bees sure do love them.we've got alot of them planted & just about ever time I look there is a bee on the flowers.sure hope you enjoy them as much as we have.>>>>>Mark

Theres my favorite purple loosestrife.....but I don't think most states would appreciate your trying to spread it around. They are trying to eradicate it here.

WineMan: Do you know where there is a picture of loosestrife is on the computer?>>>>>Mark

Mark,

There is a picture at the following site http://www.honeylocator.com/ , just call up the drop down icon and it will have a picture and usually a discription of the honey. Hope this is useful.

I now have a good supply of both Missouri and Ridgid Goldenrod.

Anyone care to swap? I would like to have white Aster.

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

Hmm where do i get the seed from, I have tons of asters growing out back here. They are still in bloom.
    steve

This is a great site telling about and showing Purple Loose-strife. http://www.miseagrant.org/pp/
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

>I have tons of asters growing out back here. They are still in bloom.
    steve

Keep an eye on them, pick when they are ready to fall. Let me know when you are ready and which type of Goldenrod you want.

Bill

Admin Guest

posted November 02, 2003 09:56 AM

Author: Daisy
    Guard Bee

beecatcher, I'd like some of that vitex if you don't mind. All I have are spearmint and em well that seed these folks use or stings.... forgot it's name...

Help! lol

I have native sunflowers too, they grow real tall. I have some hot pepper seed also. I hope to grow lots of hot peppers next spring for my cayenne capsules I take daily.

Anyway these are some of the seed I have. If anyone is interested. And I still have to get seed sent off to U know who up in Iowa.

I'll get this packaged up today, I promise.

Been busier then a one armed paper hanger.

Daisy

Daisy,
    The plant your thinking of is Plantain. ; )
    I forgot to send you some ST. John's Wort. Did you want any of that? Anyone else?

TAWoods, did you still want some chicory?
    Denise

Some of you had questions about Eucalyptus globulus-blue gum. True, they don't look to pretty but wow, do they produce honey. Most importantly most bloom in the winter and each tree can bloom for several months.

Blue gums are/were planted for wind breaks in citrus and avacado orchards and between freeways. They can grow well above 100' And live for over a century.

Blue gum is just one of several varieties of eucalyptus that grow out here, most are quite beautiful in fact and look nothing like the blue gum. But they all have a few drawbacks, very messy and will not grow where it frosts, they also are a fire hazzard and will explode in flames.

The honey is dark and has a slight menthol flavor, but in the winter,who cares, it sure builds up the bees for spring.Also, Tupelo is not in the Eucalyptus family.

Queen Bee send me a email at mv60@earthlink.net with an address to send them to and i'll get some vitex seeds off to you.

I am a eucalyptus honey producer / it is not dark honey here south of San Francisco. Freezes at about 25 degrees. Blue gums are the most prevelant, with many smaller types used on the freeways and landscaping. Blue gums just starting to bloom now / thru April. Easy from seed. There is a blue gum holocaust all over California, people think they are too big, messy, brittle and fire prone. In my area, the penninsula, was covered with hundreds of acres before post war housing covered the land. Still a lot here but hard to find apiary sites.

Big Grin

Yes, I am still wanting some chicory seeds. Please drop me an email and I will send you my mailing address.

dragonfly,

Is the vitex difficult to grow from seed? If you have extra I'd love to get some! Regretfully I don't have any interesting seeds to offer in return....

------------------
    Rob Koss