Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Seed swap

14K views 63 replies 21 participants last post by  Branman 
#1 ·
This morning while having my coffee I did a ton of reading at this site. It seems there might be a need to start a seed swap. As some seed may not be available in a particular area or the seed may not be available as a commerical product or the seed is just too expensive. I am not able to create large packages, but I would be able to share seed in the ounce size packages.

I have the following in the area which would be fairly easy to package.

Birdsfoot Trefoil...
White Sweet Clover...
Yellow Sweet Clover...
Dandelion...
Sweet Goldenrod...
Fireweed...

What do you think about this idea? If interested or not, let me know your thoughts.

#7 ·
Thanks, but I have lot's of different thistles already. Russian, Canadian etc. Some of the thistles I have are native. The bees love them and the horses like to eat the flowers, but not the plants. Very funny to watch how carefully they eat the floweres.
I would share them but am afraid I would be violating quite a few local and state laws.
I end up trying to get rid of them anyway.

#15 ·
Mark.. do you have any pictures of this plant. I searched the net for russian thistle and came up with a plant that is similar to tumble weed. I then searched to blue globe thistle and got a plant that didn't look much like a thistle...but was good for dry flower arrangemnts, which my wife would just love. let me know.

#17 ·
Vitex is the same as Chaste tree. Or shrub. Has silvery green leaves with purple flowers. Very pretty. If I'm not mistaken it can grow to 5-6 feet--at least that's how tall mine were when I lived in Texas. Course everything is big in Tx. Here in Ky I've only seen them get 4-5 feet.
Denise

#19 ·
Actaully, I guess it's only 2.4 times bigger...

• 2.4 times the size of Texas.
• 4 times the size of California.
• 8 times the size of Kansas.
• 10 times the size of Georgia or Florida.
• 11 times the size of Illinois.
• 12 times the size of New York.
• 499.7 times the size of Rhode Island

I know this is off topic... so I will stop now.

#21 ·
Did I hear TEXAS? Well TEXAS is not just a large state. It is a large state of mind. Even with the illegal alien known now as "immigrants" and even with millons of yankees streaming here over the last 40 years due to, the lack of freedom, high taxes, gun control,and general intervention into our lives by goverments that have killed many of the jobs in the north and the widespread use of air conditioning which allows softer people to live in our challenging climate. TEXAS has managed to stay the largest state despite what is obvious to the geography student. This is a state where we feel free, where we question authority, where we were once a free sovereign country, where we fight for freedom and stand tall for what we think is right until we are proved wrong. A place where we still have some property rights, a place where we can take a joke, a place where you can walk down the street and look others in the eye and say good morning and not be afraid that they will kill you. A place where kids can grow up proud of their lives and abilities. I must stop I just feel it. TEXAS Is not a lot of things but TEXAS IS STILL THE LARGEST Got to go rob bees now hope Mr. Cooper my high school english teacher does not find this!!!! Also we have the best food on the planet In Houston TEXAS. Also the smartest and best looking women in the world. The list goes on and on

[This message has been edited by James Urbish (edited June 15, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by James Urbish (edited June 15, 2003).]

#23 ·
T.A. the bees like the vitex very well. the stuff blooms all sumer till the first frost. once it get started i don't think you can kill it because i mowed some down by mistake and it came back the next year. you can let it grow into a bush or trim it to grow like a tree. i have mine like hedges.the bumble bees sure do like it also.

#24 ·
Mark,
Globe or Blue thistle is not the same as Russian.

Put on the heavest leather gloves you can find and grab any thistle, if it feels like you just grabed a cholla bare handed, it's Russian.

The most distingushing characteristic of the russian thistle is the spiney stock that appears flat sided with long and very very sharp thorns.

Once it takes over an area, nothing can enter it's parimeter.

We annualy walk our entire property during June and July with shovels and dig them up befor they go to seed. Ours will grow six feet easily. They will grow over the Blue stem and produce a beautiful purple flower with a yellow center that gives away it's position.

It is the scurge of every cattle rancher or farmer, and has no redeeming value at all.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.