Thread: Frames

Hybrid View

BILLY BOB Guest

Question

Hello all,

I have my 4.9mm foundation, my frames, foundation wire, wire eyelets.....My question is, where can I find a good web sight, or can someone tell me how to make it all come together?

I know to put the frames together then run the wire, make sure it's tight, and all that, but how do I put the foundation into the wire/frame? My problem is the wire not the frame.

Do I just weave the foundation through the horizontal wire, or is there more to it? Anything would be helpful.

And, yes I ordered extra so I could mess up a few times.

Thanks
    Billy Bob

Assuming that you have frames with top bar wedges, I would simply "weave" the foundation through the wires starting from the top. Gently tuck the foundation into the bottom bar and then replace the wedge into the top bar and staple with a staple gun. I use crimp wired foundation in my wired frames. I bought the frames from another beekeeper and they were already wired. I believe you could avoid cross wiring if you used crimp wire foundation.

I don't use a spur embedder on my wires. I make sure there no wrinkles in the foundation and then give it to the bees when they are strong enough to draw it out fairly quickly. If foundation sits in the hive too long before the bees can get to it, it may tend to sag depending on how hot it is.

------------------
    http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

Hi,

I have my 4.9mm foundation, my frames, foundation wire, wire eyelets.....My question is, where can I find a good web sight, or can someone tell me how to make it all come together?

reply:

I'll tell you.

Do I just weave the foundation through the horizontal wire, or is there more to it? Anything would be helpful.

reply:

No that isn't necessary. I will explain the process. Take wired frame and sheet of foundation. Face the wedge top bar side toward yourself (wedge is missing at this point). Now lay the foundation on the wires, first putting the foundation into the bottom bar (wether grouved or split) then into the top bar. Nail wedge in place with top bar laying on nailing surface (I use three nails, some use 2 to 5). Be careful not to hit the foundation. Now foundation is in place. Now you need a foundation embedding board and either a car battery charger or spur embedder. I use battery charger set at highest setting on amps (6 amps??? if I remember right). Now place frame and foundation on embedding board wires down (some like them up, experiment for yourself). Turn on charger take the clips and place on each horizontal wire (one on each side) for 2-3 seconds. Then quickly and gently rub your hand on the wax to get the wire to melt deeply in. You can do all of it at once using about 9 secs. I find it just doesn't embed as well and the bees sometimes like to chew at the wires more than the slower way. If you want to use a spur embedder get a hot pot that kids use in college to heat the spur embedder (or similar heating device). Place the wires on top of the foundation instead of down in the embedding board. Take the warm embedder and run along the wire so it presses the wire into the foundation. Warm it on each pass. Hope this helps.

Clay