Question

Hi Group
    I went over to the bee yard to check on 2 split hive I started back in april 15th,we've had some bad weather here in Ohio the last couple of weeks alot of rain and now cool temp's at night and through the day
    frost last night and in the 50's today. I notice the too hive's the bee's where on the ground in front of the hive and to the side, just like they are resting before going in the the hive after a long flight. But they nevered moved, And there was plenty of bee's
    returning from forging with pollen in both hive's so I'm not sure whats wrong with the bees not going into the hive but staying out in front of the hive.Also One of the hive's has brown streaks all over the front of the hive. Any Idea's would be of great help,this is my third year of beekeeping so I'm still learning.
    Thanks Kevin

------------------
    Kevin
    snuffybee2001@hotmail.com
    southeastern,Oh.

Brown streaks is surely diarrhoea; it could be due to nosema. Crawling bees is usually a symptom of tracheal mite, but this is a problem I've never come across. Fumidil-B is the usual treatment for nosema, but since we don't have much in the way of TM problems in the UK, I'd better not comment on treatments for that.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Thanks Robert
    Can I go ahead and treat this hive with the
    Fumidil-B? If it is TM wouldn't I notice it in my other hives also, since they where splits from stronger hives? I have not noticed it with the stronger hives. What else should I be looking for?
    Thanks Kevin

------------------
    Kevin
    southeastern,Oh.

Treat with Fumidil-B and see if it helps. I can't help much with TM treatments since we don't use them in the UK. If it's warm enough for menthol, I should use it straight away. Colonies vary in suceptibility, and it's possible that this one is just more liable to get the mites than your others. In which case, I'd suggest treatment followed by requeening.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

[This message has been edited by Robert Brenchley (edited May 20, 2002).]

Question

Ok Robert
    I will mix a fresh batch of sugar 1:1 with a
    Kicker and feed it to them.
    As for ReQueening this was a new Queen That
    I started the splits with back in April.
    I picked up 3 Russian Queen's and started the splits with those. I lost 1 Queen when
    a Hive got blown over in a Thunder storm
    with high wind and crushed a lot of bees and frames.
    So your saying it's possible that these Queens had TM when I got them and That I should ReQueen this hive again?

------------------
    Kevin
    southeastern,Oh.

I suspect most hives have it. We have a rather different sutuation to you, inthat most of our bees are now resistant and we don't need to treat. That being said, I suspect some losses have something to do with TM, perhaps combined with varroa. If you raise a queen off one of your healthy hives, there's a good chance the new bees will then be healthy themselves. Meanwhile, treat.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Looking at one of my old beekeeping books (Tickner Edwardes, Beekeeping for All, 1923 - the great TM epidemic started in 1907) he says that 'It was originally thought to be a bowel-disease, as one of the chief symptoms was a violently dyseneric condition, the bees voiding excreta of dark yellow colour over the combs, alighting-board, and every part of the hive'. So I may be wrong about nosema, but equally, TM could have been making the bees more susceptible. Either way, it looks very much like a TM outbreak. The long term answer is resistance, so requeen from one of your uninfected hives.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Hi Kevin,
    Sorry i didn't get back sooner but work sorta gets in my way nowadays. Last nite i went to our county bee meeting. a state inspector was there and alot of men and women who know quite abit about bees. One thing was brought up was it probly started from stress of splitting. and the weather added to the problem and if you were feeding another problem may have been added. Robert had the same idea as many at the meeting. Fum-b should be used. In any case. Nosema shouldn't be ruled out .One cause of it is fermented honey that the bees ate. I hope this helps you. as far as requeening i would do that as the last resort. the weather is going to break tomorrow and 70s and sun in forcast see if that makes a different
    Walt

Wink

Thanks Robert For you replies.. I gave up trying to figure this out, getting confusing
    and trying to read info off the different web sites I've been to. I decided to call in the county bee inspector to take a look see what he thinks. He was going to try and come out this week wednesday or thursday, so maybe he can help shed some light on this prob. Again thanks for the help, I'll let you know what he says.
    And Walt thanks for the replies too and taking the time ask questions at your local bee meeting. Like i said I'll let you Know what the inspector tells me..
    Thanks Kevin

------------------
    Kevin
    southeastern,Oh.