I'm just curious how many users are from Arizona?

Have they had any luck requeening AHB hives?

What kind of ventilation they prefer for the heat, how much shade?

Are mites prevalent in Arizona?

...OK enough questions...

Thanks for any replies
    Eric
    Tatonka

I've been keeping bees here for about 2.5 years. I have requeened twice with mixed success.
    I have had mite problems but FGMO seems to be working well this year. The biggest problems I have are ants. It is a constant battle. If you do not patrol your bee yard and an area roughly 100 feet around it weekly, you will be in for a nasty surprise. It seems to take about 2-3 days for a successful hive to be wiped out by ants.
    I use a home-made vented top board for circulation, and I use pallets for shade (top and sides)
    Thank you,<br /><br />Gregory

Thanks for the help Gregory.

How big a hole do you cut in the lid for venting?

I think I have the ant problem licked, after driving 4 pieces of galvanized pipe into the ground I screwed a 2X4 across them and place my hives on this. A liberal coating of grease on the pipes keeps them at bay so far...

Eric
    Tatonka

The problem I had with the grease was, well, this time of year. When it gets to be 114+ my grease just softened and ran down the legs. With the blowing monsoon dust, pretty soon the ants didn't have to worry about the grease and just walked through the dirt.

My venting is a little different. I didnÂ’t like the idea of a hole, so I reinvented the wheel. I used a couple of pieces of 1/8" veneer and made a lift on all four corners of my lid. This created a slight vent all across the top. It seems to have worked pretty well. I just change out the tops when it cools down.

BTW where are your bees located? Mine are out in the Buckeye area.
    Thank you,<br /><br />Gregory

Hello fellow Arizona Beekeepers:

I've been keeping bees here in Marana and Tucson since about April 1997. I've been a beekeeper since 1966 and I have never used any chemicals or essential oils to control bee pests or diseases except, I have used ant baits on the ground to help keep the ants at bay. Though the bees have Varroa, which is obvious, I have never had any serious problems with them. I began with one feral colony transferred to Langstroth equipment from beneath a neighbors mobile home. Subsequent colonies were developed by division and permitting the queenless portions to raise their own replacement queens.

I believe there is a chance that my own bees may have some degree of Africanization. I recently was successful requeened 3 of them with Cordovan Italian queens using nucs and push-in cages.

I don't usually do anything special for ventilation just slatted bottom board racks and slatted side racks, but I am beginning to experiment with Screened Bottom Boards (SBB), (I built one) and am trying it on one of my hives. I am thinking of trying at least one more for comparison. I do provide copious quantities of water all year-round. I am also thinking of trying upper entrances with SBB.

Shade: I make blinds of shade cloth, all 4 sides and across the top. I leave a gap between top and sides for bee access and I stagger where the cloth overlaps as an access for me.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Gregory,

I'm in south Chandler on an acre, my bees are going through a 2 stage move out of my yard and into a neighbors place 200 yards away. I'll retrieve them from a buddies house later this week and have them back closr to me. One of my neighbors decided he was going to die if he got stung etc.... I've only got 3 hives going so far and don't plan on any more than 4. They are all feral and one is pretty darn mean. As soon as I get them situated back here I'll try and requeen that mean one.

Eric
    Tatonka