Who was it here made the suggestion on putting two aspirins in an egg and burying it out by the beehives??? For varmints to eat?

Well I did it, the eggs were eaten and the problem went away.

I just want to thank you profusely for that suggestion. It probably saved my little apiary..

;^)

Oh and, I didn't bury it under the dirt. I buried them under the snow.

But I put more out today just in case varmints who would mess with my chickens would eat the eggs and go away......leaving my animals and bugs alone.

Poor varmints!
    I've decided not to raise bees and raise varmints instead. Even varmints need love.

Besides, I hear they go for $30 a pelt in Bangladesh.

Kai

How much is shiping to Bangladesh??

Unfortunately, I just looked it up, and varmint pelt shipping falls under the Hazardous Materials rates.

Also, since Bangladesh is the poorest nation on earth and the per capita annual income is only about $220, I think there is limited market space. Oh well, it's back to bees for me.

Sorry to have gotten your hopes up. I'm sure raising varmints would have been a lot of fun, even if your tomato juice costs would have skyrocketed.

Thumbs down

I hope to caution you against using Asprin. As a wildlife biologist, I am familiar with a little warning that reads, "It is a federal violation to use this product for other than it was intended." The purpose of that is to protect our environment from untested pollutants. Only those methods and chemicals determined to be safe and appropriate should be used to control your pests. I think as beekeepers, we all are aware of the importance of a clean environment.

Exclamation

And some of us are aware of the imoprntance of keeping VARMETS out of the hives

>>I hope to caution you against using Asprin
    >>Only those methods and chemicals determined to be safe and appropriate should be used to control your pests. I think as beekeepers, we all are aware of the importance of a clean environment.

You have got to be kidding. Asprin? an untested pollutant? We are talking about lacing eggs with asprin to take care of our varment pests. I think you should be more worried with the hazards flushed down our toilets and sinks, entering straight into our environment,..

Ian

Hi Guys,

I hate to see any wild animal destroyed indescriminately. Sometimes they can become a problem.

I have skunks that are eating every dead bee that gets tossed out of my hives right now. The hives are completely surrounded by skunk tracks most of the time but it's winter and they cause little damage to the hives other than pulling out my entrance reducers.

I have skunk proofed my entrance reducers and hope that when conditions get better they will move on. But if not, then, unfortunately they will be specifically targeted and eliminated.

I would take as much precaution using the egg, as I would with a trap or a gun. I would be sure that only the targeted animal is effected by my action.

A neighbors pet or other wildlife could be injured by indescriminate use. Would an eagle eat an egg laying on the ground? Would a small child eat one?

Be careful. Be specific. And then be done with it.

Regards
    Dennis

Wink

How do you get the asprin in the egg with out breaking the shell?

tom

jfischer Guest

> How do you get the asprin in the egg with > out breaking the shell?

Feed the asprin the to chickens, wait
    12 hours, and collect eggs!

How are we thinking that the apirin deters varmints ? One aspirin kills a skunk ? Or the taste makes them not come back ? And I too had a hard time with the raw eggs cracking ? Daisy, did you use a hard boiled shelled egg ? How can I get rid of feral cats that use my pile of potting soil as their litter box ?

Don't worry about polluting hte environment with asperine. It isn't going to happen. Asperine is the medical name of asperic acid, which is unstable, it breaks down normally within the soil into salts when it collids with the natural alkaloids found in all dirt.

Asperine is a fine and clean pest deterent, proly one of the very cleanest.

Asprin. AKA acetasalicylic acid AKA aceta salicylate. It is naturally occuring in willow bark and has been used by all civilizations for as long as we have records. For thousands of years at least. The American Indians were using it when the Europeans got here and the Europeans had been using it before the Romans got there. The Romans had been using it before the Greeks conquered them and the Greeks had been using it as long as anyone could remember.

Related chemcials you probably have also used:

Magnesium Salicylate (Doans pills)
    Bismuth Salicylate (Pepto Bismol)
    Methyl Salicylate (Wintergreen oil)

Three aspirin will kill most any animal in the cat family of about the size of a house cat, including skunks. From what I've been told, they die from internal bleeding. It seems to have no effect on dogs. I don't know it's effect on mice, but I hope it kills them. No shortage of mice.

Try the small end of the egg and a small nail.

Or get some eggs from Jim's chickens. :> )

Jim, do you still have that Suconat?

Regards
    Dennis
    Thinking Jim's just too serious for me:> )