Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matches

My wife notices I go through a lot of matches. I prefer the wooden stick variety. As I work bees I sweat a lot and the matches get wet, never to light again. Anyone else have this problem and how do you handle it? So far I just flood my truck with matchbooks. I'm thinking of some kind of metal match holder that will have something on it that will still let me light the match. Any ideas?

Since I can't find strike anywhere matches anymore (once in a while I do and I buy a case or two) I buy zippo lighters, or at Walgreens I can get a Ronson for four bucks or so. I can light them with my gloves on, it doesn't matter if they get sweaty and I just keep a bottle of lighter fluid in my toolbox.

Big Grin

I use propane grill liters $1.00 at the flea market or dollar store!

I,also, use the long slim candle lighters that are $1.00 @ the Dollar Tree. But I keep matches in my truck in the little, flat mint tins . They close quickly and tight and the keep the boxes of matches dry and ready to use --even in sweaty pant pockets...

Get 2 empty shotgun shells one a 12 ga other a 20 ga one fits inside other . Put matches into the 20 ga shell then slide it into the 12 ga shell .

Drifter

Lightbulb

There's a lot of waterproof match containers in camping departments. I stuff mine with strike-anywhere matches and strike them on the case itself. When I can't find strike-anywhere's, I glue a piece of emery paper on the inside of the lid.

Lightbulb

FireBugs:

I forgot all about this as it may help start a smoker. For camping, I roll up 12 sheets of newspaper really tight, tie it in places and cut into 1 inch lengths. Dip these in parafin and use to start my camp fires. I imagine they would do well in a smoker to get it going.

I carry a Map gas torch for lighting my smoker. And sterilizing hive tools.

I just keep matches in a zip lock bag in the bucket of smoker fuel. The pill bottle is a great idea.

Where do you get your strike anywhere matches?

I searched the web since I couldn't find any around. I found out that a few states have actually outlawed them. (I'm sure somone is protecting us from ourselves). But regardless the stores don't seem to want to stock them. Try the hardware stores. They seem to be more likely than the grocery stores, now.

I found some at the grocery store in Estes Park, CO and bought several cases. They are still wrapped in plastic, so hopefully they won't get damp.

No Boy Scout would go in the woods without some, if he had any choice.

Thanks for the suggestion for the long "fireplace" lighters. Wow! I've been in the habit for 30 years of doing it with strike anyway matches because they fit nicely in my pocket and light on the side of the smoker. But the long ligher is awsome.

dollar store sells 11 pack of disposable lighters for two bucks.

I bought three packages a couple of weeks ago.

hmm lets see, "Yeah" that's 33 lighters for two dollars.

Not bad.

No Wait!

That's 33 lighters for six dollars.

Still not a bad deal.

14. Post

So, this is an interesting topic...one that has been frustrating to me...a rookie beekeeper. in my smoker i use the fuel you can purchase at any beekeepers supply shop. it looks like compressed newspaper pulp. to light it i use a bbq lighters...these are great for lighting bbq's, candles and natual gas fireplaces. However, it's not very good (read: quick) at light this smoker fuel. I spend WAY too much time doing this. I decided on Saturday there's got to be a quicker way and I think I have found it...I'm going to purchase one of those mini butane torch ligthers. At a claimed 3100 degree flame it should light up the fuel ASAP. I'll let you know how that goes. Locally they are about $15 and refillable.

Ken

------------------
    Good friends are sweet as honey. Winnie the Pooh
    http://honeybeesonly.com

Buy some burlap. It lights really easilly, smolders for a long time and makes great smoke.

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

I use a small torch with an automatic lighter on the nozzle and chips of wood from a planer as fuel. The torch lights it in seconds, and is also useful for sterilizing the hive tool afterwards.

Hugo

I've seen the material Honeybeesonly is talking about. It's actually some type of cotton scrap pressed into a plug. I received some as a free gift from Brushy Mountain last year. I've never used it. I cram my smoker full of pine straw. It works great and it's easy to reload. You just have to lay off the bellows when it's shoots flames.

Cool

I have discovered that a little bit of FGMO in the smoker pot really gets a fire started fast. For fuel I use dried twigs that I pick up walking down to my hives. When I get some coals I throw in some green grass, but if I'm fogging I don't seem to need the smoker...

Evidently a few potato chips help those can BBQ starters. Probably good for smokers too.

For some reason, honeybeesonly has decided not to let us know where he lives, so I don't know if he has all these pesky pine trees like we do. :->

Pine straw is the BEST for starting the smoker that you can get. It has natural resin in it and they light VERY easily, but unless you really pack it in after that, it doesn't last a real long time. Of course, putting twigs and sticks in makes it last longer, and the burlap really works well too. But the pine straw, sticks and twigs are free !!! :->

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

[This message has been edited by Sharkey (edited June 09, 2004).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast