Here is the problem. I have never used a queen excluder in the past. I started a DE Hive last year. The foundation that comes with the shallow supers is drone size. Last year the queen started laying in the super. I tried to remove it last fall but the bees would not leave and they needed the honey that was in it to get through this winter. Now they are up in that super and I am sure the queen is laying by now. I am feeding them now and it will be in the mid-fifties the next few days. Should I:
    1)Close the upper entrance and leave it where it is.
    2)Move it to the bottom of the deep supers.
    3)Go in and shake the bees out into the deep supers.
    Any suggestions?

>Here is the problem. I have never used a queen excluder in the past.

I usually don't either.

>I started a DE Hive last year. The foundation that comes with the shallow supers is drone size.

I did the same thing. Shows how much attention I was paying to cell size at the time. I didn't realize David Eyre's affection for drone foundation in the supers and I had usually not used a queen excluder, so the queen went up and layed a lot of drone in the supers.

>Last year the queen started laying in the super. I tried to remove it last fall but the bees would not leave

They never will voluntarily leave brood.

>and they needed the honey that was in it to get through this winter. Now they are up in that super and I am sure the queen is laying by now. I am feeding them now and it will be in the mid-fifties the next few days. Should I:
    1)Close the upper entrance and leave it where it is.
    2)Move it to the bottom of the deep supers.
    3)Go in and shake the bees out into the deep supers.
    Any suggestions?

I would wait until you think they no longer need the stores in that super for food and they are no longer clustered all the time. My guess is the queen isn't going to be happy having a brood nest of all drones. She will probably move down to the worker sized comb voluntarily. When you think they are not in need of the stores (based on the climate and the time of year and the stores in the brood chamber below) I would find the queen and put her in one of the brood chambers, put a queen excluder above that and freeze the drones (put the frame in the freezer overnight) and put them back and let the bees clean it up. Freezing has the advantage that the brood nest won't be split between the drones in the super and the queen in the deeps below the excluder and the bees will be less likely to abandon the queen in the deep box for the brood nest of drones in the super.

After the drones are gone and cleaned up you'll have to decide if you want to use the drone comb in the supers as David likes or run the hive without a queen excluder as you and I seem to prefer. If you decide NOT to ue the excluder then you need to replace all the comb with some kind of foundation that isn't drone. 7/11 from Walter Kelly tends to discourage the queen laying in the supers, but if she does it will be drone again. Standard foundation will work, but the queen may start laying worker brood in it if the brood nest gets too crowded or the brood nest grows in an upward direction far enough. I have cut rite cell to fit DE frames before. It fits very nicely since the DE frames have a groove all the way around.

Michael,
    I had asked this question before somewhere before: after I reduce, can I just use my large cell-comb for honey stores? It sounds like I should be able to if in this system you guys are discussing, drone cell-sized comb is used for stores. I would just have to keep the queen out, right?
    WayaCoyote

Dee seems to think it's important to have small cell everywhere. I prefer to run a hive without an excluder and then it is probably best to run small cell everywhere. Bees natuarlly build large comb for storage, so I don't see a problem if you have an excluder.