I'm not sure where I should post this.

I have a question concerning top entrance hives vs bottom entrance hives. Is there robbing on a top entrance as much as there is a bottom entrance? If there is, would a robber screen help? Even if there isn't as much robbing, has anyone used one and did it help?

Thanks! David

[size="1"][ December 16, 2005, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: notaclue ][/size]

>I have a question concerning top entrance hives vs bottom entrance hives. Is there robbing on a top entrance as much as there is a bottom entrance?

If both were open and not blocked by tall grass, I don't see any difference. If the bottom one has a lot of tall grass in front of it, it slows down the robbers a lot. But so does an entrance reducer. Did you add the top entrance after winter set in? Did the bees find and gaurd it? How big is the entrnace? Have you reduced it?

>If there is, would a robber screen help?

A robber screen always helps with robbing. It may or may not stop it but it always slows things down and often ends it. Of course the design of one for a top entrance may be a lot different than the design of one for the bottom, but the principle would be the same. make the bees go in one corner and out the other with screen in front to confuse the robbers.

Here's one of mine for the bottom entrance. I haven't build one for the top entrances.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Robb...enHiveSide.JPG
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/RobberScreenOutside.JPG

This one is made by modifying a Brushy Mt. "front door". Without the notches and all (as it comes from Brushy Mt) it makes a great door for closing up a hive for moving or because someone is spraying insecticides.

>Even if there isn't as much robbing, has anyone used one and did it help?

I've used them many times and they do help. A very small entrance also helps. If you don't want to work that hard to make one, try reducing the entrance with a piece of #8 hardware cloth down to just wide enough for one bee at a time to get in and out. Also you can try Vicks around the entrance to hide the smell of the hive.

Sometimes you can get by just closing up the hive getting robbed for a day and then opening back up with a minimal entrance.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF