Hybrid View

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Question

If I want to feed the bees honey, can I just pour it in a corner inside the hive body or super? It won't cause any problems for me or them will it?
    I know that placing honey outside the hive induces robbing.
    thanks,
    JG in Tennessee

This is just my opinion and from my experience. Honey that is open is like drugs to a bee. They will go insane for it. the smell 0f it will cause robbing and insane behavior from other hives. The only way I would try to feed it is with a sealed container feeder inside the hive. Like a pail or jar feeder turned upside down on the inner cover.

Feed it in a feeder. Don't every dump it in the hive. Pretend it's syrup (it is, after all)

Feed it straight without diluting in a pail or jar feeder in the fall over inner cover yet inside the hive. In the spring or summer you can use division board feeders , miller, ect. The best way to add honey to a hive is via the comb.

Clay

Or if you don't have a feeder, you can use the baggie method.

I tried giving bees a dish of honey, once. They got stuck in it and couldn't get out. Too sticky.

It DID work to trickle it in a THIN stream across an empty comb. If the stream is too thick the honey will just roll off, but a thin stream works just fine.

>I tried giving bees a dish of honey, once. They got stuck in it and couldn't get out. Too sticky.

Yes they get stuck in it. If you use a division board feeder etc. you need to have floats in it and a hardware cloth ladder.

>It DID work to trickle it in a THIN stream across an empty comb. If the stream is too thick the honey will just roll off, but a thin stream works just fine.

Yes, but to feed them 100 pounds or even 10 pounds of honey this way isn't practical. You need a feeder.

I'd add water to the honey if it weren't winter time. Thin it out. They'll love you for it. They like nectar consistancy better then the thick stuff.

If you don't dilute they just suck it up and store it. And it will keep as long as it stays dry. If you dilute they have to evaporate it and it will ferment. I never diulte it.