Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've read that if you don't put something on the tray, they will climb back up. I spray mine with PAM and it seems to hold some on the tray and about half are dead if I take the tray out within 24 hours.

Other suggestions for the tray - FGMO, vaseline etc.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

If the tray is in place and you don't have a sticky board, DE or something to keep the mites there they will crawl back up into the hive. If there is no tray and the hive is elevated enough, they fall to the ground and their chance of getting back on a bee is almost nil. Especially in my area where they will most likely get consumed by fire ants.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

OK, so I have a 50 pound bag of food grade DE, and I just ran across this message. I have placed some around the back side of the hive and sides on the ground for whatevers. I gather I can use some in the bottom cathch pen of my SBB? Is there any chance the bees will fan it up into the hive?
    Bunny

here's another intresting fact, DE can also be used to filter beeswax (i reckon there'd be a special method)to bleach it white.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Well when you find out how let me know but in the mean time, what was my question?
    Bunny

Bunny

I don't know how your SBB is constructed, but with mine there is a good bit of space between the tray and the screen, so they would have to be "super bees" to fan it up through the screen. I have had DE in my SBB trays for about a month now and have not seen any evidence that it gets into the hive in any way.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Got mine from Rossman. There is about 2 inches there. Thanks.
    Bunny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123