Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

oops, double postings....sorry.

[size="1"][ May 03, 2006, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Cyndi ][/size]
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Hey Gene,

I was thinking about just buying another sticky board and placing the DE on top of it, spread it out evenly. What do you think??

My hives here in NC are the English Garden Hives from BM. This should be easy. The other hives that I've been messing around with in Georgia...are a little bit more tricky. I'm trying to get these people to replace the entire bottom boards as they are just what they are...boards with no ventilation and are nailed to the first deep. Actually, they look like they would be a pain in the butt to deal with. I didn't even try to mess with them and take them apart. I just want them replaced - period.

BTW, I use DE for my Rottweiler who stays outside and goes hiking with me in backcountry. My dog sitter who also grooms dogs, swears by this stuff as she claims Frontline Plus hasn't worked for a couple of years. I think she is really on to something...and it is much cheaper.

Cyndi

>I was thinking about just buying another sticky board and placing the DE on top of it, spread it out evenly. What do you think??

Should work ok as long as you can make it deep enough so that when the beetles get into it they are "swimming" in it.

When I checked my inserts this morning, a hive beetle actually flew into the DE on the insert. It never made it back out, just fluttered a couple more times which got him really covered in it, then he flipped over on his back and started wiggling his legs in vain, just like the rest of em.

Its got to really wreak havoc with their respiratory system, only explanation for the fast action. I think it gets in there and embeds in the trachea which starts the juices flowing, which causes more DE particles to lodge and well you get the idea. Probably a pretty uncomfortable way to go!
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

So why waste the expense of a sticky board if you are going to coat it w/ DE?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Just use an old one or a peice of heavy cardboard cut to the same size.

Gene

in the other thread about this subject, Will suggested recycling politicians roadside signs into slide in trays
    we had a primary yesterday
    now I'm set for life [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I love it when the lightbulb goes on

Dave

Yeah, that was a great idea!

Can't wait for the pirmaries here!

I learned on a swimming pool forum recently that DE can cause silicosis. There are warnings by the FDA or some such body. I traced it when I first heard about it. DE is used in swimming pool filters ( I have one ) and it does a great job.

Be very cautious about breathing it. Miners learned about silicosis the hard way.

Try a search on http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/index.php Their server had a crash about a month ago and they may not have all the old files restored yet.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

Thanks for all the replys. Pembroke

There are all kinds of warnings on the package about breathing it. If you handle it carefully it's not hard to avoid breathing it. It might be prudent to wear a dust mask when handling it just in case of mishaps.

Also for pest control, do not buy the filter grade DE, it does not work very well. Something in the way they process it rounds the edges of the particles too much.

Just one more update.

I have recently learned that the main reason not to use pool filter grade DE is that it is treated to form Crystalline Silica, which can be very dangerous and carries a high risk of causing silicosis. Pest grade DE is not treated and carries much less risk. It nevertheless is a respiratory and mucous membrane irratant so avoid breathing it and contact with skin & eyes etc.

Food Grade DE is even safer/better than pest grade [img]smile.gif[/img]

LaRae

I don't think sticky boards are very expensive are they?? Besides, with only 2 hives, I think I can afford a couple extry. I was thinking that the sticky boards might keep the DE on better and in place. Like if a strong gusty wind came along and blew it off onto the ground.

I don't think sticky boards are very expensive are they??
    True, but why miss the satisfaction of "decorating" all those eye-sore signs with bee poop, mites, and SHB?

Did I mention I can't stand politicans? Come November, if you're in ... you're out!
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

does anyone know if mites often fall through the screen in the bottom board, and then just climb back in the hive? If this is actually a common occurrence, it would seem to make sense to have DE under the screen.

Well Jim, since you put it that way...I wouldn't want to miss that chance....although...when we were teenagers, we used to go around and collect all of them in our area, including the real estate signs too...then we would pick out the girl we hated the most in high school, go to her house at 3am and place every one of those signs in her front yard...funniest site you'd ever seen. Now days I like to knock them over. What pisses me off is when they don't come back and collect them when voting is over...talk about polluting the environment!!

does anyone know if mites often fall through the screen in the bottom board, and then just climb back in the hive?
    Fordguy, I understand that the mite falls to the bottom board and waits to hitchhike onto the next bee that passes. With an SBB, the mite falls through and waits until she starves or is feasted upon by fire ants.
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

In my experience, a mite never sits and waits for a free ride. I've seen mites running across comb. They move suprisingly fast. Of course my bees might have had them on the run. They're all small cell :-}

>does anyone know if mites often fall through the screen in the bottom board, and then just climb back in the hive?

does anyone know the age of the mites that fall to the bottom board? are they old mites that are going to die anyway? are they newly emerged mites?

>I've seen mites running across comb. They move suprisingly fast.

Yes, they do move fast and they are quite agile. I've also tried to dislodge mites from bees using toothpicks or small pieces of straw. They simply scurried all over the bee and it truly took some effort on my part to push the mite off the bee.

[size="1"][ May 04, 2006, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Dick Allen ][/size]

I've been collecting pollen with my Sundance and am finding at least 5-7 per day in or on the sides of the tray itself. So they are making their way thru the trap and into the pollen caught in the tray.
    Maybe they like to eat the pollen but I just crush the little varmints. Its satisfying in a morbid way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast