Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question

I've been reading a lot about this product and was wondering how many of you use this on your garden and how will does it work and where do you buy it from. forgive the long sentence.

i have a 2 acre organic garden. i have never used it. i would think that one rain will wash it away.
    what bugs you trying to kill?

Use it on the llama piles--keeps out fly larva.
    Cuts down on the smell some too. In the compost it cuts down on the grubs. Don't use much along the garden rows--but might dust a tomato bush if it's got horned worms.

WATCH OUT--don't dust up--or breathe it. Works cause it has little sharp edges that cut soft tissue.

Peace
    BBZZZZZ

I use DE on my garden and it works great. I also use hot pepper wax spray, also works great!

Get a flour sifter and dust your plants (soil around your plants) with a good layer of DE ...do NOT breathe it in...wear a mask or make sure you don't use it on a windy day.

You will have to re apply it after rain.

It also works great on fly control and odor control for livestock areas.

I have the local feed store order it in, I get 50 lb bags for around 25.00....another thing, make absolutely sure it's food grade DE ..don't get the kind they use in pools or construction...it's not safe.

LaRae

Asbestos is natural too. [img]smile.gif[/img] And it has a lot of the same properties.

I'm just sayin'...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've seen it advertised on ebay under poultry. If you let your birds use it as a dust bath, it's supposed to kill the bird lice, never tried it before. We also use the food grade as a filter aid for filtering maple syrup.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Works great for the chickens as a dust bath! We keep a small wooden box around with DE in it for them...we have some pretty healthy chickens that are 4 to 6 yrs old and are still laying...no chemicals.

LaRae

You can find small bags (5lbs or so) at pet shops. I used to use it when I had aquariums. Filters that are designed to work with DE filter the water to sub-micron levels. It works on insects by cutting through the chitin (waxy) coating that insects have on their exoskeletons. When they contact the DE, it nicks their coating and they dry out and die. You will have to reapply after it rains but it's not a persistent chemical you have to worry about.

Just wear a dust mask when applying it.

Mike
    If you're not confused you just don't know what's going on.

Mike usually the filter kind is not food grade and shouldn't be used around gardens/humans/livestock...just FYI.

LaRae

DE is also great for keeping beetles and pests out of stored grain. you have to get food grade DE but if you do it can be consumed with rice/grain.

I have wondered about piles of DE at the base of a hive stand to keep ants away.

Diatomaceous earth is small particles with sharp edges. The edges abraise the exoskelotons of tiny creatures, basically making them bleed to death. larvae don't stand a chance, and even hard shelled beetles are killed.

So, has anyone ever tried this product in their bee hives for SHB???
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Is this a good alternative (no harm to my bees) to sevin dust on my garden?

"I have wondered about piles of DE at the base of a hive stand to keep ants away."

I am currently working on my sbb making a tray to place DE in below the screen. I am thinking this will kill any hapless mites that fall into it, but at the same time I don't want the bees to get in it. My other idea was to just place a pile of it under the sbb before setting the hives on the stand, would proably do the same thing.

24 hours ago, I placed a cupful of DE on the SBB inserts under my six hives that were really struggling against SHB. I checked them this morning and there were more than 100 dead or dying SHB in the DE under every hive!

You have to be sure that the inserts have blocks on the ends to prevent the bees from getting into the DE as it will kill them as well.

For soft bodied insects is works by scratching and cutting them and they dehydrate and die. I believe it works on the harder bodied insects when they breath it in, it gets into their trachea and cuts it up. Then they drown in their own "insect blood". The SHB don't ever even make it back out of the insert. I use the Safer brand as it also contains a "bait" that seems to help attract the SHB. You do however, need to be sure that the DE used around hives contains no pesticides.

Please, make no mistake about it, DE is deadly to bees so do not use it anywhere where they can get into it.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Gene, what kind of SBB inserts are you using??
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Gene

That's why I suggested using it under the screen, so only the mites get into it, not the bees.

Cyndi

I am using a 1/4" luan plywood square cut to fit in the slot under the SBB and extend just to both the front and back edges. I have a 3/8" x 14-1/2" block nailed to both ends of the insert (you will probably want to measure the gap between the insert and the SBB to size your blocks, also you don't really have to nail them, just be sure they fit tight enought to block the bees when the insert is in place). I then just spread out about a cup of DE between the end blocks on the insert and place the insert in the groove under the SBB. You need to be sure that the insert is long enough so that the blocks on the ends prevent the bees from getting between the insert and the screen.

peggjam

That's exactly what I do, I just have a block (really more like a strip) of wood on each end of the insert to keep the bees from squeezing between the insert and the screen from the outside of the hive and gettin into it. I chose to nail the strip to each end of the insert as it makes it a little easier to keep from knocking the DE off the ends of the insert when I spread it out (with a suitable tool of course).

Cyndi

I thought of a better way for you to picture it. If you are using a sticky board on the insert under the screen, just think about replacing the sticky board with about a 1/8" or so layer of DE. It should be effective for both mites and SHB.

I actually feed it to my chickens 2-3 times a year as a wormer..
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency