Thread: nucs

made a nuc with an ordered queen yesterday.Put in a few frames of bees and some with honey and pollen. If I have a few frames of capped brood do I still have to move the nuc two miles or more from the parent hive so the bees don't fly right back?

>made a nuc with an ordered queen yesterday.Put in a few frames of bees and some with honey and pollen. If I have a few frames of capped brood do I still have to move the nuc two miles or more from the parent hive so the bees don't fly right back?

I don't find that convenient, so I never do. I just shake in lots of nurse bees, put in at least one frame of emerging brood, which will populate the hive, and at least one frame of open brood, to keep the nurse bees there, and at least one frame of honey/pollen for them to use to feed the young and shake in three frames of nurse bees (making sure not to get the queen). They don't all have to be from the same hive, in fact sometimes it's better if you get them from two or three different ones because the chaos adds to their eventualy cohesion as a new hive instead of having loyalties to the old one.

Thanks mike, that it what I thought one or two frames open brood and capped and one or two honey/pollen with lots of nurse bees and the nuc could be put near the parent hive and only the foragers would go back. This veteran keeper told me that I can't do that it would never work. I know I am new at this(second year) but I didn't think I was that unknowledgeable.

The capped (preferably emerging) brood will have no loyalties to anywhere else.

A lot of the bees will go back. If you want to put it further away than right next door it might help. But the main thing is to shake in lots of nurse bees.

The two mile away system is nice if you have a convenient way to do it.