Thread: Swarms and SBBs

NC Beeman Guest

A good test for anything novel in beekeeping is to ask the question: Do the bees "like" it? Has anybody out there ever seen or know of a swarm setting up housekeeping in a hive with a SBB with no tray or anything blocking the screen? I mean they picked it out on their own without somebody putting them in there.
    Also, has anyone ever heard of an established colony absconding after an unblocked SBB was installed on it?

I've placed swarm lure in a SBB hive last year & also in a hive with a solid bottom beside it,never had a swarm to take up in the SBB,But I did have one in the solid.
    And yes I've had them to leave a SBB before.This is JMO,But I'll deal with the mites by other mean's.Because I Don't like SBB,& will never make another one,As I said That's JMO.

NC Beeman Guest

Hi Mark, Was that a swarm that left the SBB hive or an established colony?

I've had more than one to leave,(may not had anything to do with the SBB),most was established hive's.
    The reason I don't like SBB, is I use a floor under the screen some people don't but I just can't bring myself to leave that much open,(That is just me).anyway,unless you have the time to keep them cleaned out,I don't. ever thing under the sun get's under there,& I feel that if they live under there where the bee's can't get to them that after awhile the bee's get's use to them & they will get inside of the hive sooner or later,including wax moth.That is the way mice get's in a hive in the winter,The bee's are clustered & the rat enter's & sit's back after a few day's they get use to it.(Smell?)then you know what happen's.IMO that is the same with SBB.