Sad

Well, my neighbor hooked me up with some SBB's the other day and decided to put them on yesterday. Now I've noticed some bees out in front of the hive that had "crinkled wings" or deformed wings so I imediately thought of the dreaded word. Having to manipulate 2 deeps (which both weighing a ton) and 2 shallows (going to eventially split the double) in which they are still drawing comb, the colony seems pretty strong...LOTS of bees. I did notice some of the mites on exposed drone larvae.
    Seeing how the "flow" is over with I put in some Apistan strips (will be tutored on the FGMO in the spring) and put the bottom under the SBB. Today I went the check and I couldn't believe my eyes... I had to have at least a THOUSAND mites suck on the board!!! My poor girls have been going through hell and I feel awful.
    I've noticed today that they have been a good # of bees coming out of the hive (not able to fly) and hitt'n the ground. They've seem to be very very light in color, almost albino like. Certainly not like their sibblings for Italians.

I'm dreading the possiblility of loosing this hive...and want to be smart about it. Hopefully I'm not too late.

Regards,
    Greysmoke

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi Gray,

It sounds as if your hive will be OK. I've seen hives drop in pop. with only a few thousand bees left and still make it. If you hive is as strong as you say, it should do fine. The light color that you see is from the mites, as you know.

Do you have any room for some of my hives next year when the sourwood comes in. lol

BB

Greysmoke the mites are here and everyone is fighting them no reason to feel to bad.You did see the problem and do something about it.It sounds like if they are strong they will be just fine.

i hate to be negative, but when my mite levels got that high(thousands) the hives crashed. I hope you fare better.

If you had high numbers without treating, I'd say that it looks bad for survival. However the high count is because the Apistan is working. I feel confident that you have it under control. Mark your calendar and remove in 56 days and put the feed bag on with the essential oils for a bit of insurance. A grease patty couldn't hurt either.

Bill

>i hate to be negative, but when my mite levels got that high(thousands) the hives crashed.>

That has pretty much been my experience too.Some survived but were never first class hives.The problem is right now is the critical brood raising time for the wintering bees.The bees that will carry the hive through the winter are being raised from now on.They must be protected and well fed to make it till late winter or the hive wont survive.High varroa loads are really bad news but we all get hit sometimes.

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited August 25, 2003).]

Thanx for the reply's Gang. I won't give up any hope.
    Billy Bob... I'm awaiting for 'em sour woods to have a better flow because this year it wasn't too hot (at least for me).

Has anyone heard that the sourwood tree is having problems from disease from polution or acid rains etc?

BILLY BOB Guest

Yes everyone has been talking about the sourwood not doing good at all this year. Most have blamed it on the rainy weather we've had this year. You should remember that real good sourwood flows only come about once every 10 years. Daisy I haven't heard about them having problems from polution or acid rain. If I find out different I'll let you know.

BB

Daisy...don't know about the disease or acid rain, but I've noticed a large amount of cacoons on the sourwoods, even though it is later in the season.

BillyBob... I was "up" in the higher elevations yesterday and was suprised to see some sourwoods still in bloom!