Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Package question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have a colony which lost thier queen. By the time I noticed that their numbers had dwindled down to only a few frames of bees, I figured that a new queen would not do much. So I opted for a new package. Only Problem now is that what do I do with the couple hundred of hold outs left in the queenless Hive?

This is the first post I have made on this board, so i would like to say hello and that I really appreciate the information that you all input to this board. And am looking forward this year to using Dr Rodriguez's Fgmo approach to controlling our mite problems.

Thank you
Dale

#2 ·
Classic case for the newspaper method. Simple use two boxes, one for the package of bees and the other for the remaining survivors. Seperate by a sheet of newspaper between the boxes. Make a few small slices in the paper. By the time they eat the paper away, they will be accustomed to the scents and fighting will be minimal if any.

You can actually see this process in action, by noticing the paper deposits at the front of the hive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.