Thread: beehive

I just got a hive body but, the bees have died, with frames that have pastecel foundation and the foundation has been drawn out. it doesn't have a bad smell and I didn't see any dead capped brood or larva. I was woundering if there is any way to make sure the bees didn't die from a diease before I use them. does any one know how to tell. and if the died from mite what do I do to the comb?

Hi

You wrote:
    I just got a hive body but, the bees have died, with frames that have pastecel foundation and the foundation has been drawn out. it doesn't have a bad smell and I didn't see any dead capped brood or larva. I was woundering if there is any way to make sure the bees didn't die from a diease before I use them. does any one know how to tell. and if the died from mite what do I do to the comb?

Reply:
    If no bad smell, and you don't see any dead capped brood or larva, do you see any decomposed mummies on the bottoms of the cells? Seeing decomposed mummies is a sign of foul broods. Also are you seeing any hard like white or bluish/offcolor remains that might signify chaulk brood.

To look for varroa signs, turn the empty combs upside down (can do this with occupied frames also of live brood) and look at what was the inside tops of the cell walls now and see if you see any feces signs attached to the walls of the cells. Varroa do this, but if found, it is nothing to be alarmed about for reuse of frames. They can be reused and the bees will clean the fecal matter out and then use the combs okay.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

I don't see any off color at the bottom of the cells or mummies. the only thing that was in some cells were old pollen. They seem pretty clean.

Joseph Tona

Hi Joseph:

You wrote:
    I don't see any off color at the bottom of the cells or mummies. the only thing that was in some cells were old pollen. They seem pretty clean.

Reply:
    Then go ahead and reuse if you wish. They will be good for honey supers in general, even with a 4.9mm broodnest changeover, if you decide to go biological(provided no treatments were used with them).

Regards,

Dee