Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Two Queen Colony

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan Hendricks 
#1 ·
I live in alberta, Canada. I am thinking about trying a two queen unit this year. Any advice out there?

#2 ·
I use double hive bodys. I did a queen in each using 2 queen excluders to help build the colony fast. I had very good brood paterns in both. I left it that way for about 3 weeks and then moved the queen. The hive is doing very well. One word of caution: I checked it after 5 days. They had started some live queen cells. make sure you check them, and remove the second excluder. Jim

#3 ·
Hi, Rod. The way I make 2 queen hives is almost as I describe in another Forum: Address <pugetsoundbees.org>, click on Resources, scroll down and click on Forum, click on Maximizing the Spring Honey Crop, scroll down to Appendix A. You will see I am creating a twice-size population with only one queen. To make a 2 queen hive instead, do not remove the second queen but when the double screen board is removed and replaced with newspaper, insert a queen excluder, too. I have done that, using 2 queens with a single (bottom) entrance and, at the appropriate time, putting all extracting supers on top of the combined hive. Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.