Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oh heck Tom, I got a kick out of your post, it was in the spirit of the insanity I myself was ranting about. It was perfect [img]smile.gif[/img] I mean, what a dilemna: fear of being sued if you sell bees to someone, angst over being sued for NOT selling those same bees to someone, I mean, it's amazing we all have the courage to get up out of bed in the morning- without insurance against a bad day of course, or ruining someone else's day [img]smile.gif[/img]

Gosh I also hope nobody thought I was looking for sympathy! I like my miserable little existance. Wouldn't trade with anyone [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

You do not know what the bees will be used for, do not allow her to tell you. Leave no record of that knowledge. Just give the lady some bees as a "curiosity" and see if she wants to buy a quart of honey. Also see if she wants to buy an observation colony as a curiosity and pollination. Teach her how to remove individual bees for mite inspections.

The most important part of this topic is that people that want bees for apitherapy should be able to get them easily. However, there is no reason that you need to know what the bees are for. Why would you need to know? The more you talk about it with insurance agents, and in public forums, email, etc. the more records you are creating that state you may know what the bees were used for. There is an edit function for previous posts.

A buddy of mine and I onced asked a guy if we could check out a cave on his property. He went on about liability and that we couldn't go in it. Then he said, "you can go back there and look at the entrance if you want to" He stayed inside and guess what we did.

[size="1"][ April 11, 2006, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: MichaelW ][/size]

>Teach her how to remove individual bees for mite inspections.

Oh yes, that's how I inspect MY bees for varroa mites, individually, one at a time [img]smile.gif[/img] It's tedious, but accurate. The problem is it's like painting the Brooklyn Bridge, when you're done, it's time to start over. I've been trying to convert Dave W, Mite Counting King, to the method but he won't have anything to do with it.

>There is an edit function for previous posts.

Oh boy, I love beating a dead horse!

So I guess I won't, everyone knows how I feel. I will say that I don't think claiming ignorance and/or stupidity has ever been a particularly good defense against anything. Never worked for me anyways.

>What does a wink mean?

Complicity. Or in other words, "Guilty as charged" [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

Give her the AHB.

Craig
    ;) Good Day Craig W.<br /><a href=\"http://www.weaversproduce.mysite.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.weaversproduce.mysite.com</a>

I didn't wink. Go a head, prove it!

You sure you didn't wink? I coulda sworn you winked..
    Dulcius ex asperis

Hi, guys! Does any of you know the location or source of RELIABLE data on anaphylactic reactions to bee stings?

Anaphylactic reactions are real and potentially deadly, but they get all the headlines and, thus, are all that people think of. Ignorant reporters write allergic reactions up in lurid terms. But they're probably rare -- thus the question above.
    Kishwaukee Goldminer

&gt; Does any of you know the location or source of
    &gt; RELIABLE data on anaphylactic reactions to bee
    &gt; stings?

Gotcha covered on mortality, but no idea on the
    cases that are non-fatal, as most are. They just
    are not "reported" as a cohesive data set.

http://bee-quick.com/reprints/stingdeath.pdf

Here's an idea - sell the woman an observation
    hive, and rig up a little trap device to capture
    one bee exiting or entering in an "airlock" so
    that it can be removed from the exit/entrance.
    Sell her small "nucs" headed up by aging queens
    that you planned on killing anyway.

Now she's a beekeeper! Now she carries all
    the risk, as anyone who decides to keep bees
    is clearly assuming a certain amount of risk.

Heck, I'd GIVE her the stuff and the bees.
    Why extract money from someone who is suffering?
    You don't need the money, you need the PR for
    your honey sales.

Hive and Honey Bee has good info on honey bee allergies.

I met a beekeeper in West Milton PA, said she saw an allergist for her bee sting allergy. Got a series of treatments, now she has to sting herself once a month to keep immunity up. Sounds different than the all of a sudden becoming hypersensitive, more likely that being stung regularly keeps the immune system better able to handle stings. This has been my experience.

Mr. Fergusson, lawyers are the instruments of injustice as much as doctors are the instruments of death.

Lawyers are also the instruments of justice, doctors those of life.

I'm as guilty as they next guy about writing about hippie chicks, oriental shops, etc, but can we just talk about bees here?

by the way, I agree with you and don't like my fellow lawyers, but we need them.

Oh Fordguy, I don't blame lawyers for this litigious mess we're in. I blame whatever it is that causes people to feel they're no longer responsible for their own actions. I blame a prevailing attitude that the rest of the world owes us a living. I blame lack of accountabilitiy and self-serving ambitions. I blame Society.

Lawyers don't sue people, people sue people. I said it before, I'll say it again. A society gets the kind of crime it deserves.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

Sounds to me like the root of the problems are the lawyers ? They chase ambulances until they get hurt and then sue the ambulance comany. Then become judges to decide cases for the other lawyers who are sueing the doctors.Eventually they become politicians if they are lucky they become VP`s and then can shoot lawyers . Wonder if Dick is being sued ? hmmmmmmmm ....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

I gotta say some of you folks are a riot. Over on another thread some of ye naysayers on this thread were pounding your chest about not wearing bee armor and dissing those that do. Where's the little rolling laughing icon when you need it?
    Time wounds all heals.

Wonder if Dick is being sued ?

No, I'm not being sued.
    ......oh, you meant the bird hunter, I'll bet.

My late father was an attorney for decades, as was his father before him, as was his brother. My brother is as well.

All are honorable men. As with most everything we generalize and love to slap labels on thing we either do not understand or disagree with.

Of course there are lawyers of poor character, as there are in any profession or trade. Including...... Beekeeping.

I don't blame the lawyers. They've proliferated in this country to fill the need for their own services. Lawyers just generate more work for other lawyers. One lawyer in a small town will starve. Two lawyers in that same small town will do OK. Three lawyers in that same small town will thrive. The root of the problem isn't lawyers, it's us.
    Dulcius ex asperis

&gt;I gotta say some of you folks are a riot. Over on another thread some of ye naysayers on this thread were pounding your chest about not wearing bee armor and dissing those that do.

But I'm much more afraid of lawyers than bees...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF