Thread: Dying hive

My good colony went queenless this spring after a vigorous winter population and a full super of honey. I had laying workers again. I introduced a virgin queen. She must have been no good or she didn't mate well. The laying workers disappeared and all the drone brood in the honey super emerged. The population is dwindling. Brood is spotty. I shook two frames of bees in there,letting the field bees fly away off an excluder. I then dumped the house bees in with the other bees to give them som help. Their honey stores were being consumed and there weren't enough field bees to gather nectar and pollen. I resumed feeding with 1:1 with HBH. I'm considering adding a couple of frames of brood from my strong hive. I had an excluder on there, but removed it yesterday. then I noticed that the bees had built a supersedure queen cell. I wonder if I should let them try to make a new queen or just order one with a 3lb package if I can find one?

My guess is you won't find one. I'd let them raise a queen.

I would let me raise their own queen and keep adding brood from the other hive.

Or if you know of any beekeepers that live up the road from you (and left a note on your front porch) you could give them a call and get some bees from them. Do you know of anyone local?

I'm in the book Joe Miller IV

Or if you know of any beekeepers that live up the road from you (and left a note on your front porch) you could give them a call and get some bees from them. Do you know of anyone local?

I introduced a new laying queen yesterday. When I marked her and put her in the super in a queen cage, she was looking sorta pitiful. After about 3 hours, the bees had fed her and she had revived. I then killed my month-and-a half-old queen and destroyed a supersedure cell. When I left them, the bees were chewing the marshmallow out of the end of the queen cage. Hopefully when I return from New England Monday evening she will have been introduced thoroughly and will be laying well.