Cool

I was given a call today. A co worker of my uncle goes to this church and is the one they put in charge of getting rid of the bees. My uncle went out to the church and said the bees are going in at 3 different places. 2 are near the ground and about 20 feet apart. The third is thought to be in the attic in the front about 20 feet up. I was told the first spot was under one of the windows on the back of the church. He said he knew they had been there 8 years and was told they were there for more like 20. The newest place that they have been spotted is in the front and one over wintered last year. One of the church members had a relative that was a beekeeper and he was going to remove them but he had a heart attach and died. A bucket truck has been volunteered for use in the one way up. They are in the process or remodeling and painting the outside of the building so I have not repairing to do after removing the boards. Wish me luck and I will take my camera. I have 3 weeks to get them totally removed. So it not really a rush.

Sounds like fun. You've done this before, right?
    http://www.kohala.net/bees/capture/index.html

Wink

Sing this old Song while removing and it might go easier.........

Honey In The Rock

Oh my brother, do you know the Savior
    Who is wondrous kind and true?
    He's the Rock of your salvation
    There is honey in the Rock for you

Oh, honey in the Rock (oh, honey in the Rock)
    Sweet honey in the Rock (sweet honey in the Rock)
    Oh it tastes just like honey in the Rock
    Oh taste and see if the Lord is good
    Oh it tastes just like honey in the Rock

Have you tasted that the Lord is gracious?
    Do you walk in the way that's new?
    have you drank from the living fountain?

Oh, there's honey in the Rock my brother
    Leave your sins for the Blood to cover

Wink

That is an old time song! Maybe if you also told the bees there will be a second collection, they will zoom right out!
    Martha

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

How far is McMinville from Clarksville?
    I might come by to watch
    Jason

See if you can raise some queens from the brood. Not having been treated for so long they certainly have some good genetic material to offer towards mite resistance.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

once my dad attempted to remove a swarm from the attic of the local methodist church .He ended up falling through the ceiling in saturday leaving no time to get it fixed before sunday .If you decide to go through with I may come all the way from texas to watch . At least video tape it you may be able to win $10,000 on funniest home videos .

jfischer Guest

A church bee removal?

If you have the minister read from the
    book of "Beatitudes" while you are
    using the smoker, this may have a
    positive impact on the additudes of
    the bees.

When you are all done removing the bees,
    make sure that a large crowd is present
    to verify that you have identified all
    the places where the wood is thin, and
    the bees might re-enter the cavity.
    The wood at these spots needs to be replaced.

As they are painting the church, you
    should tell them to REPAINT, AND THIN
    NO MORE!

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

You know, the more I think of it, I wouldn't mind coming to see it. Will you do it on the weekend? I might even bring my beevac and help.
    Jason

I have one of 3 removed and in my bee yard. I am getting them out from the outside. The church was redone in 1985. They placed outdoor grade plywood under the hand sawed poplar lap siding. The nest I removed had a 1 1/4 inch gap under the window. My uncle was wrong about them painting it. As the building has never been painted. They did nail some planks on a couple of post to start weathering to replace bad boards. The church is actually called a meeting house. It is the oldest goverment build in the state. It was the town hall, church and school. It was built in 1805. There is a home just around the corner that was built in 1845. At the time it was the town hall, jail, and fort. It has brick walls about 2 feet thick. It was interesting seeing the way it was constructed. The inside wall is hand sawed poplar of varing widthes(from 4 to 14 inches wide that I saw) covered in plaster. The bottom plate is a squared log sitting on pillars of stone about 3 feet apart. The studs were 2 1/2 X 4 with no cut being perfectly straight. I was told that under the weather boarding was a layer of 1Xs planks which was replaced by the plywood for a tighter seel. Enough about the building itself.

I could not believe how gentle the bees were. This first colony was small darker bees but not the old wild type of my fathers years according to my father. I started removing boards without gloves or veil but we did smoke them. My father let the flat bar slip and slap thee siding and we had several guards come out. At this time I put the veil on resmoked and continued. Niether of us got a sting during the whole process. I had enough brood to fill 5 deep frames. The hive was real light on stores and I only had one frame worth of honey pollen mixed. The queen fell on the ground with about 10 other bees when I popped the plywood off the wall. I scooped her up gently and put her in a stiff zipper bag(was a cd travel case with all pages removed). My father experience came in real handy even though he stayed back most of the time. I was lucky in that the combs were real straight with little cross comb. I tried looking for mites but with all the excitement they were moving to much. I used a teloscoping cover as the bottom to keep the honey from leaking. I layed a queen excluder in the upside down cover to help keep the bees from drowning but was not neccessary this time. I covered the hive body with another queen excluder. then finally a SBB insert(the type used on top of a standard BB. I had a board cut to fit the entrance drilled and screwed in with sheetrock screws when hauled. The SBB was screwed down for the trip home last night. It took about 2 hours to complete the removal. We screwed some shelving bracket to the exposed ply wood and to sit the hive on and left the entrance open with the queen excluder on to keep the queen in the hive. Last night on pick up there were only a hundred or so bees not in the hive. They should join with the other colony just above them(there is another colony above the window these came from below). The other colony(at the other end of the church which is the one that has been there for many years) may be 2 more as they are going in on the south side about 4 feet below the eve(mostlikely the plywood break). On the front/west side of the church right on the corner they are coming out just above the eve of the side. I just hope the rest are as gentle as these are. I am going to raise queens from these if they stay gentle when strong. Mite resistance at the expense of gentleness will not pass with me.

I am 75 miles south east of Nashville on Hwy 70s. My wifes class went to clarksville for a school function and said it takes about 3 hours to drive it. I do not see a need for help but you would be welcome to come. I am sure I will be doing some on the weekends. With the weather being cool dad and I are going to go tonight as long as it is not raining to remove the outer weather boards. We popped a few off last night before another shower hit and the bees paid no attention to us. This building is only used for special events. Sometime in May is the next function then he said it would be some weddings in June. Just another historical building with alot of history as it was given to the blacks as a place to worship in the late 1800s and was used till 1940 as such.

MB this is my first removal and it went smooth. The only problem I had was my father. Yes his experience is valued but he insisted that we use cloth in the smoker to reduce sparks. He grabbed a bag of "cotton" rags as he called them. After about an hour he finally got one that would burn. Some were poly blends and melted instead of burning. Some others had been fire retardent treated. I will make sure I have some proper smoker fuel with me next time. I usually use pine needles. I will place some cloth over the top to catch sparks. Do not want to burn down a 200 year old building LOL.

Back when all the cloth was cottom or wool, the cotton made nice fuel. Now it's all blends that would burn too much if it weren't for the fire retardants in it.

I still think Burlap is the best, although I often use what's handy to supplement including pine needles, dried grass, dried leaves etc.

Dry seed heads of Shumac works good also.

For smoker fuel, try tearing an old pair of blue jeans into 1-2 inch wide strips. They are all cotton, and make excellent smoker fuel.