Sad

My hive superceded their queen and failed to raise another, I didn't notice this until 2 1/2 weeks after, so I ordered new queen, although worried about laying workers.

At the time the queen was released there were no eggs, and she was accepted fine, but 5 days after the hive was full of eggs 1 in each cell.

Now 3 weeks later while inspecting I notice that their were a lot of Drones, and that there were somtimes 2 to 5 eggs in some cells and 1 in others, and in between the capped drone cells there were young worker bees emerging, a few.

I took the hive about 200 feet away and shook it out.

My Question is: Can the queen exist with laying workers?
    And: Well, what's my problem and should I just combine this hive with another? Thanks for any help.

Hi Bad, Your bees would surely kill a queen with a laying worker. Hopefully the laying worker did not make it back to the hive. you might try putting a new queen in.

But the queen is in the hive now with the laying workers, and there is not only drone cells there are a few (35%) worker cells capped. Is it possible that their both laying?

The Queen was an All-American from Weavers.
    I'm Puzzled.

If your queen is in the hive, you DON'T have a laying worker. It's possible that you have a bad queen. That happens from time to time. Your provider should replace her. Good luck, Jim

Lightbulb

I went ahead and combined this hive with my other, using the newspaper method.

Also I took an old hive that I've never used except a little last year and it had only about 4 sq. inches of foundation drawn and placed it where the old hive was, the queen was already in the other hive.

Then, today I checked and there are eggs, 2 in each cell with only about 100 bees left. The queen could not possibly get to this hive. I must have had a laying queen and laying workers at the same time because there were workers and drone emerging from their cells????????