I went into my 3 hives yesterday. All three, even my weaker one, seemed to have good populations and stores left. I reduced the entrances and put one to one on them. It's mid 70's today and windy. I saw some pollen coming in, but not like a few weeks ago. I expect it will pick up soon if this warm spell lasts. We'll probably get one or two more freezing spells that will last a couple of days, but winter should be winding down here.

Ross,
    Congrats!!! I take it that is 3 for 3?!? Wonderful. I checked mine today as well. Papa helped. Out of my three, only 1 was in more than 1 deep (bad year last year). But like you, even my weakest seemed fine. Unlike the Carolina keepers, I haven't seen them bringing in any pollen. Today was warm enough, but I think they were mostly cleansing when I was there, and I didn't get back later to see if pollen was coming in. The red maples do have flowers, so maybe they got a bit of pollen.
    Wayacoyote

My mentor went through one of his yards yesterday. He didn't do any treatments last year and so far he hasn't lost a hive over the winter. This compares with massive losses a few years ago even with treatments. We both suspect we have some african cross in our stock at this time. I wonder if this has added some mite resistance and vigor? The last purchased queens were from Weaver several years ago, so all current queens, his and mine, are locally bred. We are both going to re-queen some hives with NWC in April. We'll see how they compare.

Ross,
    You mentioned it being several years since requeening. Sounds like good local stock or good genetics already in your hives. Why the need to bring in other genetics or bee lines? Are they overly aggressive? You have hives that are doing great with limited treatments, and you wnat to change something? I'd do splits and see if you can strengthen the bee line you already have.

Why are you just now reducing the entrances?