Thread: sorghum

can sorghum be fed to bees?

BILLY BOB Guest

hoosierhiver,

I couldn't find anything on sorghum.

I did find some links to articles that may help but didn't have a answer to your question.

One is on poisions in sugars; The other covers effects of different sugars. Like I said nether covers sorghum, but it's some intresting reading.

Are you talking about sorghum syrup that comes from johnson grass? I'll look some more, to see if I can find any thing on it.
    www.beesource.com/pov/usda/abjfeb1977.htm
    www.beesource.com/pov/usda/apidologie1978.htm

BB

It is similar to molasses (in fact it's usually labled Sorghum Molasses). I would think it would have the same problems. Too much solids. Too much dysentery. Small amounts probably wouldn't hurt much, but large amounts probably would.

i figured that the sorghum/molasses would probably cause them dysentary,but never actually seen anything specific on it.

BILLY BOB Guest

I did some searches and didn't find anything. I would have to agree with Michael. If for no other reason, no one knows for sure. You could do some test and see.

BB

you would not have a problem if you added it to your feed in the spring when they can get out and deficate. 1 cup of sorghum to 1 gallon of sugar syrup. I would not feed it in the fall for them to overwinter on it.