I reconnected with an old friend who got me into beekeeping. He is giving me his old equipment of about 15 shallow supers, honey extractor, and misc equipment. The hives were knocked over and the bees left. There was no evidnece of disease. That was 15 years ago. Would disease like AFB still be an issue with 15 year old hives? Any other things I need to look out for?

Thanks

>I reconnected with an old friend who got me into beekeeping. He is giving me his old equipment of about 15 shallow supers, honey extractor, and misc equipment. The hives were knocked over and the bees left. There was no evidnece of disease. That was 15 years ago. Would disease like AFB still be an issue with 15 year old hives? Any other things I need to look out for?

If you trust your friend and his beekeeping knowledge, then I wouldn't worry. As far as AFB, the spores live forever. 15 years will not kill them.

AFB spore can still be viable after 50 years. You have to choose for yourself. If the equipment was new when your friend got it instead of used your probably on the safer side. You never know though! If you use the equipment just be watchful. If you do suspect disease, make sure you deal with it rather than turn your head. Speaking of AFB I just had some info that inner covers can be exposed to sunlight (must be scraped down of wax)for 20- 30 days and spore are destroyed.

Cool

If you're really worried about foul brood, take advantage of the ethylene oxide (I think that's right) chamber that MD has at the DOA. You can put equipment (no wax comb) in the chamber and the gas will destroy all AFB spores. Contact Jerry Fischer (state apiary inspector) for details. MD is one of the few states in the country that has these chambers for beekeeper use. Nominal cost associated.
    Thanx.
    John

Thanks for the replies.

I have alot of foundation to buy. What kind can I get that I don't have to wire up??

Thanks

Well I'm an advocate of the 4.9mm cell foundation. I use wax and I do wire too. So I guess I would recommend dadants plastic 4.9mm foundation. Its a little pricey but really good, durable stuff.

Clay

If you are talking about foundation for shallow supers, Walter T. Kelly has some 7/11 surplus that is between worker and drone in size and the queen doesn't like to lay in it. It is also closer to what the bees build for themselves for stores. Personally, for shallow supers, I wouldn't wire them. If you want to extract the foundation without any wires, you can if you don't get too carried away with speed too soon. Plastic is also a possibility.

Clayton and I are using the same size for brood and supers and then it's nicest if the comb is interchangale with the brood nest. And for that I would definitely use 4.9mm. Plastic if you don't like to wire. Wax if you prefer wax and don't mind wiring.

That's a good tip about the MD ethlene Oxide. There is a place in Mass. that does irradiation. Does anyone know the name of the company? Anything like that in NY?

Dickm

Definately get the equipment steralized. I started my apiary with used equipment and now I have to live with AFB that reared its ugly head in one of the hives and I am sure is in all the others as well. I wouldn't use any of the foundation or frames due to the possibility of spores.

In terms of foundation and frames. I fell in love with the all plastic frame and foundation that is available now. Its wax coated so the bees dont mind. No more eyelets, wire, wax foundation, sagging foundation, all the problems and time consuming aspects of traditional frames. It is so cool to just open the box and throw some new frames in. and to top it off--They are cheaper!!!!!!!!!1

Mann Lake offers the Pierco all plastic frames in BLACK as well as white- if you order enough. I prefer the black since you can easily see eggs, and sunlight doesn't bother the bees as much when you open the hive (doesn't reflect light). All plastic takes a lot of the monotonous work out of beekeeping, and saves money in the long run.

Have you noticed a degree of burr comb on top of the Pierco frames? They are slightly thinner and violate beespace enough to cause this. I don't like them because they flex if you have to use pressure to pry them loose.

Dickm

A alternative is boiling your equipment in a lye bath, not the easiest thing but it does work

------------------

Just made an appointment with the Bee Inspector to fumigate my equipment. Better safe than sorry. He's bringing a portable unit to my home since i have a full load of equipment. It'll cost me $80. Well worth it.
    Thanks for the advice.

Ethelene Oxide will sterilize only empty boxes? It won't do comb? I was thinking about coming to Md from Ct to get some stuff done. If I have to can the comb I may as well burn it all.

Dickm