Thread: Bees Came!

Ellensburg, Washington, USA East Edges of the Cascades

I got a call at 5:30 that my bees where in, I came and picked them up at 7 they put them inside for me, a question though is I ordered from R Weaver one package Buckfast and one All-American, how can I tell them apart to see which one preforms better here? There is no label on the packages just then shipping label.

Hopefully you can see this colour difference on both the worker bees and the queen bee:
    The Buckfast should tend to be a darker bee and the All American should tend to be a lighter (yellow) coloured bee.
    --
    The Buckfast were never bred with colour as a criteria so they may be more variable. I say "hopefully" because when a breader is making up packages, they may mix bees and the genetic colour makings can be lost. But if the packages were made up in separate bee yards, then hopefully the difference in colouring will be noticeable to you.

The worker bees are all the same color, I guess I will have to wait untill the brood starts to hatch.

Kevin

Were there no makings on the queen cage? This is how we did it in CA.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

I agree, the markings are usually on the queen cage. Usually something simple like a crayoned "B" or "A" or "I".

There is no hard and fast rule that if you order Italians that you get italian workers in the package either. You definately get an Italian queen (if I didn't I would want one reshipped immediately at supplier's cost). But the worker bees in a package don't really matter too very much, they will be replaced by the queen's own progeny within 6-8 weeks anyway.

One of my packages had very different looking bees than the other 3. I ordered 4 italians, but the one package has a high percentage of black colored bees in it. So what?

------------------
    Scot Mc Pherson
    "Linux is a Journey, not a Guided Tour" ~ Me
    "Do or not do, there is no try" ~ Master Yoda
    BeeSourceFAQ: http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/

I havent hived them yet, the queen cage is probably marked.