Thread: Canola oil

Question

I was talking to a beekeeper who's doing about 2500 hives. He says that he uses canola, wintergreen, spearmint, etc oils for mite control. He puts them on a paper towel in the hive. And he says it works better than Apistan. Has anyone tried this method?

>I was talking to a beekeeper who's doing about 2500 hives. He says that he uses canola, wintergreen, spearmint, etc oils for mite control. He puts them on a paper towel in the hive.

FatBeeman is doing similar things. It's a similar system to the FGMO cords. But the cords last a lot longer and so require replacing less often.

>And he says it works better than Apistan.

Not saying much since Apistan doesn't work at all here, anymore.

>Has anyone tried this method?

Not me.

I will be using mineral oil soaked into paper towels and laid on top of the top bars in my langstroth hives. still thinking about how i will do this with my top-bar hive... anyway, i will be using food-grade mineral oil so you can use this whenever you are having a mite problem, without having to worry about contamination of honey. big plus i guess for the top-bar hive i can hang paper towels with mineral oil between some of the frames.

We have used wintergreen in conjunction with traditional treatments in the past. It seemed to boost the effectiveness of the old methods. I think, if nothing else, it got the mite moving, out of the cells, and in contact with the medication.

JT

I used the paper towels, canola oil, and wintergreen on 23 hives last winter. I had no losses, but who can tell if it was because of the towels? It is a very quick, easy method of treatment. I keep the paper towel roll in an air-tight plastic container. As I close up a hive, I just tear off a towel and place it on the top bars before closing up the hive. The bees tear it up and bring it out the bottom.

I don't know if this link has been posted here before, but its to a West Virginia University ag-extension site for "Mite Control in Honeybees with Essential Oils."
    http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa.htm

Next to Michael Bush its the best resource I've found for essential oil use in the hive.