Thread: Ideas?

HI, I started with two nucs this past week- I am very excited. I have done some reading and really enjoy picking up ideas from the BB. When I was picking up my nucs I saw another guy had his hives there and had no bottom board¬°K he just had a screen with an entrance¬°K He said it was to help deal with parasites- which I have read about. If one were to not have a bottom board- what effect would this have on brood production? Honey production? By not having a bottom board- during the summer- would this be a good thing? Bad thing? Would you recommend putting the board back on during the winter months? Do you have to worry about chilling the brood? Thanks for your continued insight¬°K ¬É¬ļ

D

>When I was picking up my nucs I saw another guy had his hives there and had no bottom board¬°K he just had a screen with an entrance¬°K He said it was to help deal with parasites- which I have read about.

This is a Screened Bottom Board aka SBB.

>If one were to not have a bottom board- what effect would this have on brood production?

In the summer, at least, studies have shown it will increase brood production.

>Honey production?

Better ventilation will increase honey production.

>By not having a bottom board- during the summer- would this be a good thing?

I leave mine on until they start bearding and then I open it for more ventilation. I think leaving it open in the summer is a GOOD thing. Bad thing?

>Would you recommend putting the board back on during the winter months?

Some people leave it off all winter. I think in a reasonably mild climate this probably works. Some people even do it in fairly cold climates. I think that depends on how much of a draft there is. In other words, is there a four inch gap to the ground or a 1/2" gap? I had one open this last winter but there was only a 3/4" gap beteen the screened bottom board and the table I had it on that made a solid bottom 3/4" away from the edges of the bottom board. It did very well. SOME ventilation in the winter seems to reduce getting the bees wet from condensation.

>Do you have to worry about chilling the brood?

There are some studies that leaving them open in early spring or when hiving a package can lead to some chilled brood, but it shouldn't be a problem on a strong colony. I don't leave them open until the nights are no longer chilly.