checked on one of my hives today and the cappings on the honey are dark rather than the usual snowy white. anyone seen this before? something else odd in the same hive is that there are still some undrawn frames of foundation, and the bees seem to be capping the foundation without building cells up from it. i'm not sure how else to explain it. any help is appreciated.

I think the white cappings are when the bees leave air space between the honey and the wax cap. but the dark caps are where the bees capped it directly on top of the honey with no air space. and the color of the honey shows through

I have noticed that the bees will move wax around much like they move honey around to where they need it. It may be just old stained wax.

I normally see short capped cells opposite of cells that were drawn out further than normal. That is done to maintain an average bee space inbetween.

Bill

I agree with GotHoney.
    Denise

Also, sometimes it get's short capped because the honey flow fell off but this honey is ripe and ready to be capped. Of course then when the flow starts they may draw the other side out to meet it.