Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How is the honeyflow going for you? Last week I checked my hives in N. IL and I did not have a single drop of extra honey in the already drawn out supers and they were not drawingo out the foundation. Today I had to put on 25 extra supers because the first ones are now all full. What a difference a week makes. how is the flow by you? With 899 members of the forum this should be interesting to share.

Here in North west Indiana I have some hives bringing in nector and others are lazy!
    Loostrif is just begaining to bloom so maby.
    Ed

Sad

Our's is about over with.>>>>Mark

As a rookie (installed packages 4/29), I was just hoping to fill out 2 deep supers on my (two) hives this year. Well, about two weeks ago they were completely drawn & filled and I needed to add my first medium supers (undrawn). Checked back toady, one of the mediums was packed completely full and the other had only about two or so frames drawn and filled. I added an additional super (undrawn foundation)to each of them. Things are moving along more quickly than I anticipated. Thinking that I might want to keep this honey for emergency feeding this winter but not sure how to handle the size difference between the deep frames in brood chamber and the medium honey frames. cj

Looks to be a good year again here in New Hampshire. Rain finally let up and the clovers, milkweed, catalpa and a whole lot more that I can't name are in full bloom. I checked on my hives today (95 F)
    it was hot but rewarding. From 3 pounds packages in April, most have filled two supers and a couple are working on a third.
    Add two more to each one! Would be nice to see 100 pounds per hive from packages!
    PS: It's all drawn comb.

------------------
    Dave Verville
    Fremont, NH USA

My bees are finally able to work the flow. Guess it's clover,monarda and sumac they're after now. I missed the poplar, honeysuckle, blackberry and locust due to the weather.
    D.

so far so good
    4 hives -2 supers each-full almost capped . 1 bear close by , very nervous beekeeper!
    scott- pa

Very poor. Too much spring rain and now storms over the last couple of days have taken out most chances to have a basswood flow. The year is about over.

Kansas City Area. Another rookie beekeeper with a single hive. I have 1 full super and waiting for a 2nd to be filled.

It's picked up a little the last week but overall, it has been pretty poor. At the end of June we still had colonies on feed. The weather hasn't been that bad but humidity has been low. Lots of clover around but no nectar. We have around 450 colonies. We might be able to come up with 2 barrels of honey.

No good here either.The bees look good and are maintaining,but I havent hit a good flow yet.Still moving yards and hoping for something,havent heard the fat lady sing yet!

Rookie here as well, I posted a new message similiar to this in 101, the flow is poor. Things look so weak I thought it might be something I am doing wrong.

My two hives are sitting on the edge of an acre of pumpkins due to bloom in about 25 days, I hope that kicks things into gear, but at this point I'm concerned. 8 of 10 frames in each deep are drawn, but the laying patterns are iradic and honey is almost non existant. I picked up another couple of deeps to add, so I'm going to start feeding again. These are my first hives, I'm kind of worried about getting them through the winter.

Thumbs down

Poor year in my two hives. Others in the area are saying the same thing. Lots of rain in April, May and June. Now it is blazing hot and things are burning up so the end of teh season may not be better than the first.......

The honey flow seems to just be starting here in n.w. ohio.It was cold then wet this spring.Thunder storms the last 4 days.If it drys out a bit the next3 or 4 weeks it could be very good.

Rookie keeper here too one hive and it has been suprising. I had a package in one deep and added a second that they seemed to have no interest in. Then all the sudden they drew it out and filled it with honey in a week (my first flow I guess). Then they have gradually populated it with brood, ignoring the two shallow supers I added. Guess things will fill in time. Looks like a TON of bees in this hive though... They come out in the hot afternoon and cover the front of the hive

------------------
    Chuck
    Information Systems Consultants
    Lershac@cox.net

When they come out in the hot afternoon that is a sign that they need more ventelation. Have you considered using Screened Bottom Boards. If yoiu are using them you can prop the outer cover up with a stick and that will help.

Pulled honey over the last 3 days....should have only taken 3 hours to pull it but the weather didnt cooperate. Not much for honey but it does grade water white so far. Now just gotta finish extracting it.

Here in Richmond, KY I have 7 hives; 2 are new swarm catches, 2 are new spring packages and 3 are established hives. Black locust bloom was very heavy here in early spring, and even with a lot of rain, two of the est. hives really brought in a good amount from the locust. It then rained a lot the rest of the spring, but they must have worked their little wings off whenever the rain stopped for a while on the yellow and white sweet clover. There was also a lot of blackberry blooms this year. The two packages have each filled one super each (they were each put in hives with drawn comb), one of the est. hives is just about finished its fifth super and the other one is working on its sixth super. I didn't put the last super on each of them until July 4th weekend and they are almost full. Dutch white clover is in full bloom right now. We just had storms here the last two days, so hopefully the flow will continue for a few more weeks. I also see many bees on our thyme every day. The other est. hive swarmed a lot this year and won't produce anything this year. I have screened bottom boards on the hives, fog with fgmo at least once per week, treated with apistan last fall, but do not treat in the spring. For me, this has been a really good honey flow year so far. I've only been keeping bees for 4 years, so I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to.

[This message has been edited by DeadAhead (edited July 10, 2003).]

mmundy Guest

Angry

My drawn comb from last year filled up fast, but all my new comb sits week after week with nothing. I was hoping to fill my new Ross Rounds super...

checked hive on the forth found 6 out of ten frames in the upper loaded and ready to be capped some in the lower also think its time to start adding supers now. The bees are all over the clover here in New Jersey