Thread: extractors

I need to buy a extractor and I have never seen one used before. I was thinking of a hand crank but I don't want to be spinning my butt off. Can anybody tell me about how long it takes to spin out a medium frame. Also I will most likley never have more than 10 or 15 hives. So do I need a moter or will hand crank be ok ?

hand cranked extractors aren't much work,if you've got dozens of hives,a motorized one might be worth it,but to extract a few frames,a minute or two or spinning them out is enough to remove the honey.

you may want to invest in a hot knife for uncapping,they are real nice.

I kept bees for years without an extractor and held out for a motorized 9/18 radial. I wouldn't have done it any differently. It's worth the money. If you can't afford it, just squeeze the honey out and drain it. It will be easier than a hand crank two frame nonreversing extractor.

With a growth plan of 10 to 15 hives, you're looking at a honey super inventory of 30 to 40 supers. Times ten for number of frames. (or at least 9)
    That's a lot of hand cranking, not only your butt but your arms will fall off. Go modern, go motorized with a 9/18 or 10/20.
    Extractors hold their value so if things go sour you'll be able to recover most of the cost.
    Check ebay to verify the previous statement.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

You may be able to work with another beekeeper in the area.
    There is the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association, they are also in Saratoga County. There is also the Catskill Mountain Beekeepers in Greene County.

I have seven hives and have a 9 frame hand crank extractor. It works great for me. I do have a hot knife for uncapping and my husband and adult daughter help. It's done in no time and the cleanup is pretty easy.

This is the one area I really have been struggling with. Without an extractor, all that drawn comb in the honey supers will get destroyed when you cut it out for cut comb or squeeze it. Then each spring the bees are starting from scratch, building up new comb in the supers. I can't figure out how to manage swarming with this scenario. Won't the bees be out every spring foraging, but won't have enough drawn comb to store the nectar?

They will build comb like they always do. It doesn't take ten pounds of honey to build enough wax to store a pound of honey. It only takes a few ounces of wax to store a pound of honey.