Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mite Control

Has anyone fogged with 20% venegar? The President of our bee club has a South GA bee yard. He started fogging with venegar to save his bees. Hes very busy with 600 colonies. He telling me that hes getting complete mite kills by the hundreds. Anybody else experimenting?

He must mean 20% solution of acetic acid. Vinegar is not that acidic.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I just looked through a couple of bee magazines and can't find the ads now, but in the recent past there have been ads in the bee magazines for some sort of machine to fog or mist bees with white vinegar. Claims were made about white vinegar getting rid of mites and I think chalkbrood. Wasn't there a brief discussion about that on one of these forums not too awfully long ago?

Michael I bought 4 gallons of 20% vinegar to experiment with. BJ got it from me to try. An Oldtime beekeeper told me he had been successful for a couple of years using it. BJ says it works great. We are using it in the Burgess foggers. I wouild like to do some meaningful drop test. At this time I have only one beeyard. I would think you would need another yard to be able to have a comparison. Any imput would be helpful.

I have seen vinegar as high a 30% acidity for sale on the internet, I wanted to get some for killing weeds but the shipping kills you. Do not know if it would work for mite kill though.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

James, If you have hives and can do a mite drop count we are all interested in the results. I have some questions about the level of acidity and it's effect on bees. I would not necessarily do everyone at once until I had those questions answered. I had never heard of vinegars with that type of acidity since the common ones are diluted with water to around 5%.

Joel ,I have 14 hives . Working out of town I check them every t wo weeks for mites. The president of our club a commercial beekeeper has fogged his South GA yard. He has put sticky boards on those hives. In a mater of days he says he got 100% drop. When I start my fall treatments I will put sticky boards on all my hives. I would like to separate some hives and compare.

It's called mother of vinegar culture. Not pearl. Mother of Pearl is for trinkets.

Comercial vinegar is typically 5% acetic acid.

seawrcher, I'm with you. Shout it for the rooftops. Why didn't I know about this? What does Marla Spivak say? What does George Imrie say? What does Michael Bush say?

lol

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Though not a statistician, am curious how one concludes that they have attained a 100% mite drop? Are we saying that every bee and ever cell has been inspected for mites or mite brood? Just curious... curious enough to try it myself although we have had great success with CheckMite. Thanks for the info... cdl

What does Bob Harrison say?

Used better way vinegar machine for sale cheap! Serious!

Got blasted for saying the machine did not work on BEE-L> Perhaps the maker will not see this post!

The maker is NOT a beekeeper!

I would love to hear from one beekeeper which bought the machine and had positive results but still waiting.

I did not buy the machine but a fellow commercial beekeeper did. I did his testing.
    Bob Harrison

Better Way. Thanks Bob. I knew I’d seen their ads previously. In the April 2005 ‘Bee Culture’ that I just grabbed off my pile of mags is their ad for “The Cyclone”.

“A dosage of two tablespoons of 25% white vinegar applied once for a 30 second time period per colony does and excellent job of killing Varroa and Tracheal mites instantly. It will suppress American and European Foulbrood. Nosema spores and chalkbrood fungus you can treat anytime and will not hurt the bees.”

For those who want a single-source magic cure-all for just about any pest or disease nature throws at their bees, maybe they should take you up on your offer.

I would love to hear from one beekeeper which bought the machine and had positive results but still waiting.
    Well, there was that original post in this thread....

To echo what a poster above has stated; Anything with 20 or 25% acetic acid IS NOT vinegar. Naturally made vinegar cannot be made that strong as the acid will kill the bacteria before it gets that high. (Just as wine dies about l4% alchohol)

Now, if we are talking a solution of 20 or 25% commercial vinegar in water, that is a different story. Acetic acid down to about 1% in that case.

I'll keep an open mind. Let's hear some details.
    Ox
    Oxankle

To answer your statement CDLER1. QUOTE from BJ after treating his dying hives with 20% Organic vinegar that I bought from Houston TX. "After after fogging with vinegar hundreds of mites were on the stickey boards." How many times I don't know. " Treated again with no visible mite drop" I asked how many dead bees? " Nothing unusal" All I can say he saved the rest of his hives and called me for more vinegar. After the honey season I will do some experimenting.

James, your buddy that did the vinegar test that is pres of your local club...who is he?

BubbaBob

James,
    I have been on the varroa front lines for quite awhile. Information without varroa counts is useless. When the varroa count reaches a certain level nothing will save the hive.Common beekeeping knowledge. Not even checkmite or apistan when they were 98% effective.
    Treatment is a waste of time and money.

Testing is the only way to know when levels are approching the threshold when treating is a waste of time and money.

No researcher I ever heard speak or talked to said 100% control is possible with varroa.

I assure you the method talked about does not kill varroa in sealed cells.

100's of dead varroa tells me little but will keep an open mind.
    Bob Harrison

Dick,
    I believe the first poster is fogging with a burgess. At least he is not stupid like a few beekeepers and fogging sheep dip!

The lure of the machine we speak of is huge. Why it got our attention early on (1991). The science behind the machine as far as varroa goes is not bad but in pracice did not work as advertised.

The patent says fifteen minutes to rid a hive of a large portion of varroa while advertisement says 30 seconds. Even fifteen minutes did not do the job in our tests.

Beekeepers have long searched for an easy cure for nosema, chalkbrood, AFb & Efb. The advertisement says the machine will suppress the above four problems. We would jump all over the machine if it worked for even one of those but IN OUR TESTING IT DID NOT! I would love to hear from a beekeeper for which the machine did suppress the above four!

Suppress dictionary definition:

"Put and end or stop to"

I would love to debate how the machine could suppress American foulbrood spores with 120 F.degree heat and vinegar!

I believe the idea for the machine came from Dr. Shiminuki(Beltsville head at the time) saying research has shown 120 F. will kill varroa over a period of time. Certainly not 30 seconds or even fifteen minutes as I recall. Took hours and then not a complete kill.

I suppose I will now get another nasty phone call from the maker.

Dissatisfied customers do have the right to complain! I did not waste my money on the machine due to the statement my father always said:

"If it sounds to good to be true it usually is"

but a friend did and I as well as him tested the machine. He runs 700 hives. He has been trying to sell the machine since the failed testing but who would buy the used machine after the truth is told.

Email me if interested!

A myth that I heard for years and even saw published in Richard Taylors column once was that you could control tracheal mites by placing menthol cough drops in the hive.

My advice to those on Beesource is to only test a new idea on a small portion of your yard until you know for sure the method works.
    Bob Harrison