Thread: bee-ID

would like to know if somebody can help me identify these bees,last week it froze here,
    thats when i noticed i have a hive in the tree over the drive way,I found a bunch of dead beeson drive,and would like to know if killer bee honey is as edible as domestic honey?thanks for any and all help...
    mel
    please email me your
    email add and i will email you a picture thanks

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited December 12, 2004).]

>would like to know if somebody can help me identify these bees,last week it froze here,
    thats when i noticed i have a hive in the tree over the drive way,I found a bunch of dead beeson drive

What does the hive in the tree look like? Honey bees live in holes in the tree. They look different than yellow jackets or wasps.

>and would like to know if killer bee honey is as edible as domestic honey?thanks for any and all help...

"Killer" bee honey is indistinguishable from regular European bee honey. "Killer" bees (Africanized bees) are indistinguishable from European bees. They look just alike. The only difference is their temperament. AFB (Africanized honey bees) are very defensive of their hive for longer distances.

Killer bee honey can be used to make killer pancakes.

Wink

Mark Winston writes, with tongue in cheek, in his book--'Killer Bees'

“One of our favorite journalist-baiting routines in those days was passing out samples of honey from our hives and suggesting that someone could make a “killing” by bottling and marketing killer bee honey. [one reporter] took this idea seriously. About a year later, just before Christmas, Killer Bee Honey hit the market. It sold for almost a dollar an ounce and came with a brochure that enjoined the consumer: ‘As you taste this honey, remember the lives it has cost. And then enjoy it if you can.’ [the reporter] went around the country in a beesuit and veil, promoting the product, but the novelty quickly wore off. One food critic described the honey as having ‘the taste of silage or hay in a country barn.’ Killer Bee Honey was a failure.”