Thread: Honeycomb

I use the plastic plasticel foundation. When I harvest honey, the extractor really tears up the comb. I put the frames out in the yard for the bees to remove what honey is left. My question is: should I try to put the "mangled" comb frame back in the hive or should I scrape away the old comb and then put the frame back in the hive. Scraping may remove the base wax imprint?

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

The extracting process and letting the bees clean wet supers can damage the comb.

Even the damaged comb is a head start for the bees.

Just put the combs in to the hive and the bees will fix and damge and re-use the comb.

Milt, the plasticell does not have a base wax imprint, it is a plastic imprint.

It is up to you as to what you do with the drawn comb, but keep in mind the more wax they have to build again, the less honey you can harvest. It takes 8 lbs. of honey for them to make 1 lb. of wax, which do you prefer?

------------------
    Phoenix
    http://beeholder.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure what in the "extracting process" is tearing up your comb so much. The extractor shouldn't. Cutting caps off with a knife of proper temperature shouldn't.

It should just look like empty comb.

Can you elaborate on when in the process you think it is getting torn up?

I agree, I'd just give it back to them anyway. It's still easier that starting over.