Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Organic?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  deggary 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to have your honey "certified organic"? I saw some certified organic stickers at my grocery store and was wondering. Thanks..

BTW: Do you know what kind of bees make milk?

Boo-Bees :)

#3 ·
deggary, To get an organic certification from the state you are in you must meet certain requirements. You cannot bee within two(2) miles of a golf course, a plant nursery, a sewage facility, etc. You can contact your local cooperative extention to get the information and start the process. My hives are on an organic farm, but, I do not meet the requirements because of a golf course near-by. I do not state my honey is organic but I do state my hives are on an organic farm. Steve

#4 ·
At a recent State Farm show for Pa, there was an exhibit set up to promote having your farm market products labled organic. All of the preceding comments sound correct as to location, chemicals etc. The real kicker was that this "organization" was the Pa authority in getting the organic certification through the state. This company would go through the process, paperwork, and certification process and I recall a cost of about 500-750 dollars with annual premiums as the years went.
I'm not sure all states are as Pa, but it certainly did not seem worth it. Especially when you can label you honey with "Natural, Pure, farm fresh, Raw, Wild, and so on."
Seems like most consumer do not know what "organic" really is compared to the other marketing terms available.
I thought it was more of a revenue maker for the state and authorized company, and cost outwieghed the advantages.

#5 ·
>This company would go through the process, paperwork, and certification process and I recall a cost of about 500-750 dollars with annual premiums as the years went.

I have a friend in Iowa who is going through the process so he can sell "organic" vegatables. It actually takes some time and a lot of money. It differs from state to state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.