Thread: tainted honey?

I froze some brood frames with honey in them last year and during the time they were in the freezer (the spare frig/freezer) someone put a paintbrush with non-waterbased paint on it in the frig. The petroleum smell migrated into the freezer compartment and the frames now smell. I have been "airing" them out for over a week and do not detect any lessening of the smell. I have opened a few cells and tasted the honey and it tastes fine. But I don't want to put the frames directly into the hive in case it runs them out of the hive. My only other thought is to put them out in the yard and see if the bees are attracted--any other ideas/thoughts?

I'd fire the painter [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are you wanting to "feed" the honey back to the bees? Why?

Painter already fired, lol.

Since it's old brood wax, I'm not going to extract it so I either feed it back to the bees or trash it.

Just a suggestion--take the cappings off/discard or whatever. Set a single open frame out in your yard--away from the hives. Scouts will locate and spread the word. Once the frame is cleaned up - try another.

Or are you saying the fumes are actually in the honey? In that case ditch the mess.
    Happy-
    BBZZZZZ

The honey tastes fine, but I am supposing that the wax absorbed the fumes. We've had crappy weather for over a week and yesterday was finally a good day. So I did as you suggested and the bees don't seem to have any problem with cleaning out the honey. Now I wonder if I should trash the wax or let the queen lay in it. Probably better safe than sorry.