I found out a local beekeeper was moving to the west coast and wanted to get rid of his hives. So I took the hives but they had a high varroa mite count so I treated them to some ckeck mite strips.They have been in there for a week but the snow has fallen and the day time temps are near or below 0.I was wondering if I shoud leave the srtips in or try to take them out when it seems so cold out? Will I do more harm than good?

The larva will still hatch when it's cold. Besides, it's illegal for a good reason not to follow the instructions. While as a libertarian I'm not one for big government power (which in this case could result in a massive fine or jail time), but by pulling them now, or leaving them in all year (people do) you ruin it for the rest of us.

From the experiences of those who have used Checkmite and left it in, they seem to usually end up with dead hives. Personally I wouldn't use it. BUT if you use it I would follow the instructions to the letter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the feedback, I agree that it's a pretty strong chemical and I don't plan on using it anymore in the future. We now have oxalic Acid that has been regulated and I plan on using formic acids in the future. The daytime high is going to be about 4 Celsius so I think today is the day to pull them.

I would pull the strips, even after one week of use. Holding a tight inactive cluster around the strips will do damageto your bees. That week of treatment will have helped your mite counts, I think your investment was well worth the time and money.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hey, I just checked the EPA label and it depends on how you used the strips. The label for SHB treatment is dramatically different than for mites. For mites, a week is not considered a legal/responsible use of the product. Good luck with the new hives!

>>legal/responsible

When you say legal, you would assume there to be inforcement of some kind, so I would rather say recommended/responsible.

In his case, he does not have the luxury to follow the labeled instructions to it full treatment recomendations. He has aquired hives very late in the season, with a mite problem. Assuming they are fluvalinate resistant, and also assuming that he isnt set up for any other late organic mite treatment, Checkmite is his only option. So be it a week, of treatment, then yes it was worth it, even if you would consider this not "legal".
    Must consider the fact that late in the season, little to no brood is present in the hive. there will be a very heavey mite drop in the frist few days of treatment. Checkmite is a very effective treatment.
    Also you have to consider the fact that the heavey mite load probably already damaged the wintering bees enough to increase wintering losses anyway, but the main point of the matter at that time is to releave the bees.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hello Everyone
    Well I pulled the strips out today and I’m hoping that 7days of treatment was enough! The hives were around 8% with varroa before treatment. The bees seem to be in good health? Today they were not holding a tight cluster as the daytime high was around +8 Celsius. A good day to take out the strips as I’m sure there won’t be many more until spring! Wrap them up and keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for your inputs!

Honeyboy . . .

Please explain "8%".

Doesn't Checkmite+ require temps in the 50s to work?

Dickm

Have only used check-mite for shb but it does require higher temps to work.For shb it is recommended you leave the strips in the hive for 45 days,but that is under a cardboard square with little to no contact with the bees.Not sure what the method is for mites..
    Iwould have taken them out as well and if needed reapply in spring when the temps were up.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

When I mean 8 %, I’m using an (alcohol shake) with approximately 300 bees and after the shake there are about 24 mites left on the straining cloth which would mean the there are 8 mites per 100 bees. And that’s high especially going into the winter!

Honeyboy, you probably already know this, but if you get any more days with a temp &gt; 0 C, you can still treat with OA vapor.
    Triangle Bees