what the population of bees a observation hives can hold are is there small & large observation hives. that sound cool as sh*t to have a hive set up in you house, i have seen pictures of it but im still mentioning (not asking)to talk my wife in to leting me put a observation hive in the house but ill go ahead and put 1 in next year when she gone visiting family in mississippi. like my ole man always told me ITS BETTER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THAN TO ASK FOR PERMISSION !!!!

p.s.
    some people say i live a dangerous life but im not scared of my wife !! i can still out run her !!!! lol

In theory you could have anywhere from one frame to fourty in an observation hive. In reality you need to be able to haul it outside to open it up, so it's nice if it's not to hard to manage. Also, I haven't had any luck with small ones. I have one that I have done several different ways. One Dadant deep frame, or one medium and one extra shallow are two ways I've set it up. It never did well. The ones that I have that are four medium frames have done well. One of them used to be three deeps. I think around that size is the best because you can manage it taking it in and out of the house and it's big enough to survive the winter.

Another issue is how tall it gets. You don't want the dogs or the kids tipping it over.

If you want to be able to see the queen anytime then you want one frame thick. If you don't care, you can have it two or three frames thick. Two or three is easier on the bees but you can't keep as good an eye on things.

We are interested in putting in an observation hive. I think that it needs to have at least 3 deep frames. Does anyone know where I might be able to get instructions to make one?
    Lori

http://www.beesource.com/plans/obsrhive.htm

Click on "download PDF file" to get the plans. Click on "view three photots" to see photos.

I would use whatever frames you use in your brood chamber and adjust as needed. In other words if you run deeps in your brood chamber I'd make it three deeps. If you run mediums, I'd make it four mediums.

From my experience, I would make the space between the glass 1 3/4" instead of 1 1/2". I don't care for the groove system of putting the glass on either. It get's propolized and it's very hard to remove. I'd probably do one side that way, but I'd do the other side with mirror brackets so you can peel it off the front without having to slide it.