Hi everyone, this is my first posting. Here goes.
    I'm new to beekeeping and a keeper freind advised me to place some draw foundation in my WBC hive to attract a swarm. There is a great deal of activity in and out for the last few days but when I checked tonight, the brood box is empty. Could you folk advise me what I need to do to get them to stay. Thanks for replying.

They are just checking it out. Add some lemongrass essential oil or some commercial swarm lure. It's like fishing. Getting a nibble is not the same as landing the fish. When you see them checking it out, leave them alone. You'll make them think it's not a safe place to live if you're pulling the lid off to check on the scout bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

This indicates that swarming is imminent in a nearby colony. Scouts will check out voids during the weeks prior to swarming. Leave the box set for awhile. Ocasionally there will be a lul of activity a day or two before the swarm enters. So if this happens donÂ’t panic, let it be, they still might swarm into it.

My theroy is that the lul allows for the scouts to be with the colony when it swarms, then they will be sure to be with the swarm because they will need to be there to instruct to others where the voids are.

Joe is a pro, I am a rank amateur...having said that, I disagree with joe. doesn't necessarily mean swarming is imminent. just means they are obeying some hardwired code that commands them to be curious of certain things, perhaps smells of brood comb.

I have a bait hive that my bees check out all the time, and have all year, but no swarms.

I agree I see bees checking out my bait hives pretty constantly. But a lot of activity is usually scout bees taking a vote. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF