Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hiall, I have feeding the girls in wash pans full of pine straw for a month. all hives looking well. installed ahalf of a plastic storm pipe so rain did not get in suger water.today 3 black feral dogs tried to get to the suger, the girls let them have it with both barrels it was funny seeing them howl and run. this is the first time i ever saw them act this way.
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

bees and dogs DONT mix whatever the color of the dog....bees will sting a dog quicker than anything Rick

Little black wennie dogs and bees don't mix either!
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

<<Little black wennie dogs and bees don't mix either!>>

Maybe if they realized they weren't Rottweilers...

I guess it depends on what you mean. Most dogs figure it out pretty quickly. And then things go pretty smoothly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

A few years ago I was keeping a hive at some friends' house. Their neighbor had a black lab that happened to be one of those hyper-dogs--getting excited whenever any one came by. The dog was friendly enough, but could sometimes be a pain in the butt. Everytime I'd come by to check on the hive, the dog would come running over, jump up and down, bark, and generally get in the way. It also get stung every time. Then it would yelp, run a few feet away from the hive, rub the side of its head on the ground for a few seconds, and come right back over next to the hive again. The fool dog never did learn, or else the stings just didn't bother him all that much.

Hi All,

I never thought about this until I read these posts, but I have a neighbor 2 houses down from me (roughly 1/4 mile) that raises coon dogs (gets $500 and up) and squirrel dogs. They don't do it so much in the daytime, but at night the dogs bark and howl off and on all night long. Another neighbor has about 15 or so ittle "foo-foo" dogs ($800 and up also), which are her breeding stock. They are inside a chain-link kennel which is inside a 6' wood fence, all of which is about 250' - 300' away from where I plan on moving a hive.

I know that the neighbors' dogs are fenced in and cannot come to the bees. But common sense tells me that neither the wood nor the chain-link will keep the bees out! Do any of you think that by relocating this hive, I will be placing these dogs in jeopordy which would in turn cause problems between the neighbors and me?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bee Good,
    beebiz
    \"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!\"

I think they will be safe. The dogs sound far enough away that they wont trigger a defence like reaction from the hive. As long as you have no Africanized bee issues, everyone should be ok.

J.R.

make sure you have a good water source or they will be in the water bowl.
    Stuart

NC Beeman Guest

Hi Beebiz,
    These attacks are very rare but in the 20 odd years that I've been keeping track, I know of four incidents in this state where dogs were stung bad enough to go to the Vet. In three of four the dogs died. In all four cases they were confined or leashed and couldn't get away from the bees. In all but one case the dogs were much closer that 300 feet.
    In one of the cases the dog owner sued the beekeeper and won. The bees were only a few feet from the kennel and the dog owner had complained repeatedly about the bees stinging their pet. Finally they stung the dog to death.
    If all the conditions are just right(wrong)it can happen. Its best to keep the bees on your own property with some kind of barrier (shrub,fence,etc.) between them and the neighbors. Out of sight is out of mind. Many people are deathly afraid of any kind of insects, especially those that sting.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will have a water source (bottom 18" or so of a plastic 55 gallon drum with floats in it to keep the bees from drowning) just a few feet away from the hive. And will be sure to keep plenty of water in it so that the bees don't have to go looking elsewhere.

John, fortunately here in west TN, as far as I know, there have been no problems with Africanized bees.

NC Beeman, something like what you described (confined where they can't get away) is what I was concerned about. I couldn't bear the financial or the emotional repercussions of my bees being responsible for the death of one of the neighbor's dogs! The property where the bees will be located is my property, therefore technically I could legally locate the hive anywhere on it. But I want to be a sensable and responsible beekeeper! I don't want to give the general public one more "reason" to fear honey bees. So, after your words of advice, I have decided on a different spot. There would be no fence around the bees, but there would be a barrier of dense woods (lots of undergrowth) about 40' - 50' high and about 20' across that would be between the closest kennel and my bees. Maybe this will deter the bees from being bothered by the dogs and visa-versa.

Thanks again for the advice!

Bee Good,
    beebiz
    \"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!\"

My dog was tire within 50 feet of my 2 hives but there was a fence which was grown up with weeds between them. Bees have plenty of water with a pond being closer to the bees than the dog dish. My dog only got stung when I turned him loose and he hit one of the hives with his tail(which hurts when he slapped me with it). He was given away when I had to sell the farm.

I'm starting two hives in my back (postage stamp) yard and my neighbor had a Rottweiler. We don't have a fence dividing. Should I reconsider or do you think she will be okay. No African bees here in KC yet!

It depends. Do you LIKE the dog?

As long as the dog can run away from the bees, it will be OK.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Skimedickc the dogs will be fine. My little black weenie dog did fine with the bees for a long time. She would occasionally put her nose up to the landing board and would not get stung. Everything changed though when I got Buckfast bees from Texas. Got rid of the Buckfast but the weenie dog is still shell shocked. I don’t think she will get over it.

My Norwegian Elkhound was always a bit nervous when he had to ride in the back of the Durango with a new hive on the trip up to the farm. If a couple of bees would get out he would be in the front seat quick. Whether there was room or not.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

LOL Bullseye, I personally two very lazy black mutts and I have little to be concerned about. They won't hardly go outside any longer much less disturb a bee hive. :>

The other question of course is my neighbor's dog is tied up but we have all mutually agreed to put up a privacy fence. We have a koi pond beside our house and I can make sure there is plenty water by the hives. Also, we have a creek running just next to the home so I don't think will be a problem. I am concerned about her being tied up that close to them though. Do you guys think the fence will actually keep her safe?

I have a weenie dog! she is so cute! When I brought my bees to the back yard, she got stung... now she stays far away [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I worked my bees today. When I walked into the house wearing my veil, my weenie dog went and hid. My wife said, “I don’t blame her.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast