I've got a question for bkers from about MS to NC...Do you guys run 1 deep or two and why? I'm torn...I want the productivity of two deeps, but I don't really want huge hives in an urban area. However with one deep, they may be more inclined to swarm, which is even worse in an urban area...thoughts? I know we have a short but strong flow compared to the rest of the country, so that may be another reason to go with just one deep.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

hi branman, i started beekeeping last may here in m.s. the older keepers told me they all run two hive bodys. the only thing i can figure is a short winter and a early spring.i went though winter with mostly singles. got lots of bees
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

I run 2 deeps Branman because the flow is short where my bees are and for the extra stores. The winter here is very mild so the bees are active therefore eatting more stores and bringing nothing in. I don't even get a fall flow to speak of. But some beekeepers here run with a deep and a medium box with good success.

More bee's more honey.

One deep with a medium above the excluder for stores that is never taken off and robbed.

BubbBob

I ran double deeps for years, but switched to 1 1/2 (deep + medium) last year. The reason was because too much honey was left in the doubles and the doubles were harder to move. We'll see how it goes this spring.
    Triangle Bees

I am with DB on this. I used 2 mediums and all my hives came through winter strong. Welcome back to the boards. I have not seen you in a long time. I think the type of bees you select also make a big difference in the size of box. italians around here need to much honey as are winters are mild and they try to raise brood all winter.

Lots of keepers in North alabama keep in a deep and a medium over winter... The problem for me is what I've learned from michael Bush... two box sizes means less flexability. So I stick with the deeps for everything.

So it is "do-able" but perhaps not as flexable.
    WayaCoyote

Majority of people down here in Florida run a deep with a 6 5/8 on top. they are alot easier to work and move. The bees usually fill one of the two deeps up with honey anyways , when you break them apart it can cause a sticky mess wich can lead to robbing. The bees will swarm just as much from two deeps as they will from a single ,if they get two strong just split them off.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

The problem with a Langstroth standard hive is that its just about 60% as big as the bees need to overwinter. It was the right size for the bees of Langstroth's day, but its not right for the bees of today. If it were a box 24 inches square by 11 inches deep, the volume would be just about right.

I use and prefer 2 deeps but only because it gives me a buffer in case of a bad season. One year in 10 is bad enough that I need it. Many beekeepers in this area use only a deep and a shallow. They still have to feed occasionally. Take your choice, and remember that standardization is beneficial.

Fusion

Agreed!
    I have tried to run 3 medium (the equivalent of 2 deeps) and rarely find that the bees need this much space. I end up removing 1 medium most of the time and they seem to do extremely well in just 2. No need for 2 deeps in North Carolina.

I'm trying to change over to all mediums, but at present am using one deep and one medium for brood space. That seems to be enough because I don't use queen excluders and I haven't seen any of my hives with brood any higher up than the first medium.

I also run 1 Deep and 1 Medium here, although I am trying a 2 Deep set up for one of the hives this year. Ill see what happens!

I run 2 mediums that they winter over in. I switched to all mediums 2 years ago. I start feeding 1:1 around the 3rd week of Jan., weather permitting. Just last weekend, added a 3rd medium. I have shucked the excluder and the bees seem to be booming.

I think two mediums seems about perfect. I think I'm going to try and go with overwintering in just one deep but keeping the feed on all winter long. This is going to be my first time using a queen excluder, I guess I'll see how much they like it
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers