Here's something I have read, please tell me if its workable:
    Glue four postage stamp-sized pieces of wood (Popsicle stick) to the corners of the inner cover's flat underside. (Or use screws w/ large heads). This makes an air space of approx 1/16 inch between the top edge of the upper hive body and the inner cover.

Will this provide a gentle air flow sufficient to carry off moisture from the underside of the inner cover?

If this 'new' inner cover is install about this time of year, will the bees close this 'crack' with propolis?

Thanks,

Dave W

My guess would be no. If they are clustered and not flying, they are also not collecting the stuff needed to create the propolis.

Of course they will fill it in first thing in the spring.

I looked at my bees yesterday. The temp. was around 35 degrees so most of them remained clustered. Some, however, were a little aggressive.
    I noticed that the undersides of my top covers had already begun to show wet spots from moisture... something more dangerous than the cold weather.
    I use Celotex fiberous (not styrofoam) insulation under my top covers. At the front edge of the insulation, I place a "V" shaped notch to allow the moisture to escape without letting the wind blow into the hive. The notch overlaps into the top cover rim just enough to create a vent without letting in light...which stimulates bees to use the propolis.

Big Grin

I use the popsicle stick innercover all year round. The bees do not fill in the gaps and it helps them cure honey faster. The honey combs seem to be capped quicker. And I find I have dryer hives in the winter
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose

I have also found that you must apply some in the middle of the sides or the inner top warps
    this means I use 8 per inner cover.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose

I leave the Miller hive top feeders on all year round. In the winter I fill them with ceader chips. (I'm in Ct.) I noticed a large wet spot on the inside of the cover the other day. (I use no inner cover) I've decided must prop up the cover about 1/4 inch on one end. That should provide more air and tilt the lid so the water runs downhill. Any comments?

Dickm